This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Mrs. Moore and Lewis

The man. The myth.

Mrs. Moore and Lewis

Postby larry gilman » March 29th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Lewis's pre-conversion relationship with Mrs. Moore was, in fact, most probably sexual, as his biographers now almost all agree. The charge is most certainly not simply a product of "suspicious minds" or people wishing to tear down Lewis. Lewis's friend George Sayer, in the 1997 edition of his biography of Lewis (Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis), wrote:

"I have had to alter my opinion of Lewis's relationship with Mrs. Moore. In chapter eight of this book I wrote [in the earlier edition] that I was uncertain about whether they were lovers. Now after conversations with Mrs. Moore's daughter, Maureen, and a consideration of the way in which their bedrooms were arranged at the Kilns, I am quite certain that they were."

Walter Hooper agrees: in the introduction to the Lewis journal volume All My Road Before Me, published 1989, he says "The notion of sexual intimacy between the two [Moore and Lewis] must be regarded as likely." In 1994, Humphrey Carpenter called A. N. Wilson's case that Mrs. Moore and Lewis slept together "convincing."

Our business? No more or less, I suppose, than any fact in anybody's life. If we are to mind our business completely, we must swear off reading biographies. But if we are to write or read them at all, best they be truthful ones. And best to air the truth ourselves, as Lewis lovers, than to leave it muck-racking Lewis-haters, who will certainly not be restrained by kindly propriety.

Sincerely,

Larry Gilman
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Mrs. Moore and Lewis

Postby Leslie » March 30th, 2005, 2:29 am

It's interesting that you bring this up again, Larry. I have just recently finished reading Lewis's letters to Arthur Greeves, which convinced me that he was indeed romantically in love with Mrs. Moore pretty much from their first meeting. I had been leaning toward the theory that Lewis and Paddy Moore had agreed to look after each others' parent in the event of one or the other of the young men being killed in the war. If I recall correctly, however, Paddy is mentioned only once in a letter to Greeves, and there was no indication of a great friendship between Lewis and Paddy Moore.

From the way he described their joint household, travels, and activities to Greeves, it seems almost impossible that Lewis and Mrs. Moore were not in an intimate relationship, at least for the first few years.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: Mrs. Moore and Lewis

Postby Bill » March 30th, 2005, 3:32 pm

I don't know a lot about the friendship between Paddy Moore and Jack but I would have thought they must been reasonably close if only for a short time to have made the promise they did. Also Jack must have felt quite a strong loyalty towards his friend to carry out that promise.

For anyone who might not have seen it here is a photograph of Jack and Paddy.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

re: Mrs. Moore and Lewis

Postby Cymru » October 26th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Cymru
Wardrobian

Re: re: Mrs. Moore and Lewis

Postby mjmann » October 26th, 2005, 10:03 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 26th, 2005, 11:24 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » October 26th, 2005, 11:52 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 27th, 2005, 3:57 pm

I don't remember anything from his autobiography In Lenten Lands. Of course, Mrs. Moore had been dead for several years before Gresham met Lewis, so anything he knew about her would have been told him by Jack or Warnie.
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » October 27th, 2005, 9:10 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Cymru » October 30th, 2005, 12:50 pm

Cymru
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » October 30th, 2005, 2:18 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » October 30th, 2005, 8:39 pm

*laughs* I guess that tells me clearly what Gresham thought of the issue. Thanks for the quote.
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 30th, 2005, 8:44 pm

What's a euphemism for hogwash? Or is hogwash the euphemism?
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » November 2nd, 2005, 9:52 am

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » November 2nd, 2005, 1:07 pm

Steve
Wardrobian

Next