This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

CS Lewis Anglican or Catholic?

The man. The myth.

Re: CS Lewis Anglican or Catholic?

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 1:11 pm

Postby Bill » April 8th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Postby Sven » April 8th, 2005, 2:41 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » April 8th, 2005, 6:08 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 8th, 2005, 6:34 pm

Hallo Rudif,

In Letters to Malcolm, Lewis calls Purgatory a cleansing process. This is the exact same view as the Catholic Church has of it - see paragraph 1030-2 of the Catechism. The Catetchism of the Catholic Church explains that the Church's belief in Purgatory was formulated at the Councils of Florence and Trent. If I can find information about what they said, I will certainly post it.
The Great Divorce is a wonderful little book. It works best for me as a meditation on the idea of Purgatory. I see it as a kind of prologue to LoM.

MJM

Postby Stylteralmaldo » April 11th, 2005, 9:52 pm

...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » April 11th, 2005, 10:06 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2005, 11:46 pm

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 6:49 am

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 11:14 am

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2005, 11:26 am

Postby Stylteralmaldo » April 12th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Wow.....you people are very knowledgeable!

Forgive my reference regarding Mr. Lewis from Letters to Malcolm. As many of you said, it was from a fictional work.

In reality I am a novice when it comes to the great writer. I do agree however that he did seem to hold some sort of view regarding purgation...something between this life and the next.

I think Lewis may have tried to be as vague as possible.....in order to somehow bridge the gap of disunity between Christians. My two cents.

Oh yeah...if you haven't figured it out by now, I do profess to be Catholic. ;)
...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 31st, 2005, 1:12 pm

I'm surprised how many people think Lewis was a Roman Catholic. When I was in graduate school (Purude University) we were discussing Milton and A Preface to Paradise Lost. I mentioned that Lewis was an Anglican and everyone in the seminar insisted he was Catholic. I went back to my TA office and mentioned it and everyone in the office said, "I thought he was Catholic." Not long ago, I heard Neil Connan on the PBS program Talk of the Nation interview a Tolkein scholar. Connan mentioned C. S. Lewis and said, "He was also a Roman Catholic, wasn't he?" The scholar corrected him and he seemed surprised. So the notion that Lewis was RC is widespread.

I might just mention that before the end of that seminar, Time magazine came out with an article on Lewis. The second paragraph began, "Lewis, an Anglican, has always been popular with Roman Catholics." Needless to say, I took it to class and showed it to everyone there, and to everyone in my office.

DWL
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2005, 4:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis