This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Famous Fans of CS Lewis?

The man. The myth.

Re: Famous Fans of CS Lewis?

Postby Bill » May 8th, 2005, 10:33 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 9th, 2005, 12:35 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2005, 5:08 am

Postby Solomons Song » May 10th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is most awesome. Seasons of Mists knits all the mythologies together into one storyline. Most interesting.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby hand_carved » May 10th, 2005, 6:31 pm

hand_carved
Wardrobian

Famous Fans (and Antifans) of CS Lewis

Postby larry gilman » May 11th, 2005, 8:35 pm

The biologist David Ehrenfeld, author of the (to me) utterly indispensable The Arrogance of Humanism, quotes Lewis extensively.

It it is equally interesting to note famous people who have loathed Lewis's work. George Orwell had some kind things to say about That Hideous Strength as a piece of writing (see his review at http://www.solcon.nl/arendsmilde/cslewi ... ellths.htm), but despised the radio talks that became Mere Christianity.

The very skilled author of the popular young-adult fantasy novel The Golden Compass and its sequels, Phillip Pullman, has a severe bee in his bonnet against Lewis, obviously a theological grudge---see his whackazoidal attack article "The Dark Side of Narnia" at http://www.crlamppost.org/darkside.htm.

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Famous Fans (and Antifans) of CS Lewis

Postby Áthas » May 12th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2005, 12:25 pm

Bono Does Screwtape (His Own Words)

Postby larry gilman » May 13th, 2005, 8:23 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Bono Does Screwtape (His Own Words)

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 14th, 2005, 3:23 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Zeppelin, Lewis, Bono, Oh My!

Postby larry gilman » May 14th, 2005, 9:09 pm

I'm definitely being sarcastic, or rather humorous---"sarcasm" implies a snarling edge that I didn't intend---about the sunglasses and the Led Zeppelin. But the joke was reality-based: I have met a few conservative Christians who reacted with shock to the concept of listening to Led Zeppelin. Eek, a blues lyric! And one or two who believed that rock music does contain satanic code for the corruption of youth. The Led, by the way, were huge fans of Lewis's friend Tolkien, so there's another (roundabout) Lewis connection.

But just to be clear, since you don't ask specifically what I was or wasn't being sarcastic about, I was not being sarcastic about the list of un-Pat-Robertsonesque Lewis characteristics. All items on that list are literally accurate and unexaggerated, and can be proved by direct quotation from CSL. Not that I deny that Lewis was on the whole what we would call a "conservative," but it is also a fact that that term accepted different valences in England during Lewis's lifetime than it usually does in the USA today. And some of those valences, in Lewis's case, definitely bust the penguin-suit buttons. I mentioned some of them. I should perhaps have added to the list that his favorite Christian thinker, George MacDonald, the man Lewis called "my master," was a Universalist (though Lewis himself wasn't).

Best regards,

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 20th, 2005, 12:10 am

Pope John Paul II read Lewis and quoted The Four Loves. Cardinal Hans Urs von Balthasar loved Lewis and quoted The Great Divorce. Mrs. Margaret Thatcher loves the Chronicles of Narnia, as do Prince William and Prince Harry.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 20th, 2005, 5:08 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: antifans

Postby pjb0015 » May 20th, 2005, 5:21 pm

a member of the 2456317 club

sitting up till the small hours in someone's college rooms talking nonsense, poetry, theology, metaphysics over beer, tea, and pipes
pjb0015
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » May 20th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis