This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Famous Fans of CS Lewis?

The man. The myth.

Orwell and Pullman articles on CSL

Postby larry gilman » May 23rd, 2005, 8:06 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Famous Fans of CS Lewis?

Postby captainhaddock » May 24th, 2005, 3:09 pm

captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Re: Orwell and Pullman articles on CSL

Postby Solomons Song » May 24th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

People who admire C. S. Lewis

Postby David » May 30th, 2005, 3:22 pm

Here I'm going to be a little more esoteric, but I'm amazed at the number of real academics who read Lewis. On a recent trip to Greece, I was reading, with my students, a translation of Plato's Phaedo--a discourse Socrates made on the afterlife. In the Postscript to it, the translator said, "When the Narnia of C. S. Lewis is destroyed and like some shadow-land yields to a new and bright Platonic Narnia beyond (in The Last Battle), it perplexes some youngreaders, inspires other, and produces in other a mixed reaction." I was amazed that classicist and translator Harold Tarrant of the University of London had read the Chronicles and refers to them in the Postscript to his scholarly text on Plato.

Similar, the American neo-formalist poet Mark Jarman has written poems on Lewis, as has the well-know American classicist and poet Rachel Hadas, in her recent book, Indelible. These names are not as famous as Bill Clinton, Bono, or Margaret Thacher, but I am often astonished at how many "high-brow" intellectuals from the upper eschelons of academica have read, and admire, C. S. Lewis.

Of course, considering his acheivement as a scholar, I should not be surprised.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 20th, 2005, 10:56 pm

I seem to remember that Dr. James Dobson quoted Lewis a number of times. There are also the Focus on the Family radio dramas-- I assume he is also a fan of Narnia since his organization was behind the making of these programs.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby David » August 21st, 2005, 3:13 am

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: People who admire C. S. Lewis

Postby A#minor » August 21st, 2005, 3:34 am

I just read about a band "Sixpence None the Richer" who got their name from Jack's Mere Christianity. So they must be big fans.
Jack tells the story of a child who asks his father for sixpence, then goes and buys a present to give to his father. So his father is sixpence none the richer. It means that whatever we give back to God, it was never really ours to begin with.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 21st, 2005, 4:27 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Paul_Burgin » August 21st, 2005, 9:17 pm

Paul_Burgin
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 22nd, 2005, 1:25 am

Last edited by Larry W. on August 23rd, 2005, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Charles Colson

Postby Steve » August 23rd, 2005, 11:23 am

Initially famous as a staffer for Richard Nixon, who ended up going to prison for a couple of years because of his role in the Watergate coverup. Just before going to prison he came to Christ largely because someone encouraged him to read Mere Christianity.

Since those years he has been famous in Christian circles as the founder and leader of Prison Fellowship, a ministry to prisoners.
Steve
Wardrobian

Postby HeartInkling » August 23rd, 2005, 2:50 pm

Of course I've been too close to see, the answers right in front of me! ~~Jack Skellington

You will be a decided improvement over that treacherous Sally. We'll have conversations *worth* having. ~ Dr. Finklestein to his new creation after giving her part of his own brain.
HeartInkling
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » August 23rd, 2005, 10:58 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » August 23rd, 2005, 10:59 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis