This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What order should I read Lewis' books in?

The man. The myth.

What order should I read Lewis' books in?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 27th, 2005, 12:55 am

Recently I checked with my local library to see if they had any of C.S Lewis' works other than the Narnia books, (because I've heard they are very good) and these are the ones the library has: (I'm suprised they have so many!)

Made for Heaven

The Problem of Pain

The Abolition of Man

Till We Have Faces

Christian Reflections

Boxen

Letters to Children

A Grief Observed

The Screwtape Letters

Screwtape Proposes a Toast

The Great Divorce

Suprised by Joy

Mere Christianity

Miracles

Four Loves

----(I've read the Narnia books, the space trilogy and the "Jack" biography, but The Pilgrim's Regress wasn't available there)

Of the books I've listed, what order should I go about reading them?
(I did a search on the forum before posting - but nothing came up)

Thanks!

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Re: What order should I read Lewis' books in?

Postby Leslie » April 27th, 2005, 1:15 am

I don't think it matters what order you read them in, for they all stand on their own. The only thing I might suggest is that you read Mere Christianity first, since it gives an overview of what Lewis considered the essence of Christian belief, and helps you to understand where he's coming from in his other works.

Some of his writings have argument in them that may require a little more effort, such as The Problem of Pain and Miracles . Again, if you have read Mere Christianity, and have an idea how his mind works, these may be easier.

Keep in mind also the time and place of his work. There are cultural references that may puzzle a twenty-first century North American.

Hunt for the other books that your library doesn't have - they are well worth buying.

Happy reading! :)
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 27th, 2005, 2:02 am

I'm not a North American, I'm an Australian, but I get what you mean.
Thanks for that! I'll start with Mere Christianity and continue from there. Just out of curiosity, what are the other books that aren't listed, but he has written?
Also I'm a 21 year old with mild dyslexia, so will I have problems reading/understanding some/all of them?

Thanks!

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 27th, 2005, 2:16 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 27th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » April 27th, 2005, 3:56 pm

This is my advice---omitting Boxen, which is juvenilia, not of intrinsic interest except to deep delvers in Lewis's biography:

The Screwtape Letters

The Great Divorce

Mere Christianity

The Abolition of Man

The Problem of Pain

Christian Reflections

Surprised by Joy

A Grief Observed

Four Loves

Made for Heaven

Miracles

Till We Have Faces

Screwtape Proposes a Toast

Letters to Children

This would take you into the most fiction-like works first, then into his theology, then into his biography, back into some theology, into his most mature work of fiction (Till We Have Faces), and end with two less-important books.

If you get as far as reading letters, the one-volume collection edited originally by Lewis's brother, W. H. Lewis, is superb. (The three-volume set now being published, three 1,000-page volumes, is a wee bit heavy for all but the most dedicated Lewisites! Two volumes available, last volume due out at the end of this year.)

Sincerely,

Larry Gilman
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » April 27th, 2005, 4:05 pm

It's amazing your library had so many books by C. S. Lewis, I didn't even find that many in the university library her in Bremen. Wow!
I have to admit that when I started reading them (shame on me!) I didn't care for a special order. I read those that I found or received as presents for birthdays or at Christmas, and so the first books that I read were the Narnia-books, and then the Space-trilogy. In January I read "Surprised by Joy" and when I had read it, I though it might have been good if I had read that before all the other ones. So that's probably the one I'd read first, and maybe "Mere Christianity".
Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 27th, 2005, 5:17 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Death to "Chronology," Death!

Postby larry gilman » April 27th, 2005, 6:20 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: Death to "Chronology," Death!

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 27th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: Death to "Chronology" & a remark on the Le

Postby larry gilman » April 27th, 2005, 8:20 pm

Good stuff, Stanley. Yeah, and the weird thing about the publisher going along with Gresham's insistence about Lewis's alleged preference is: so, granting that Lewis liked the Narnia books chronologically, so what? Couldn't he just be wrong? Lewis was the one person in the world who was least qualified to see the Narnia books from the typical reader's point of view! (You said something to this effect too.) Especially when there are compelling stylistic and structural reasons to just take them as they came---as one takes the books of the Odyssey. For instance, a pretty deep knowledge of Narnia, of the character of Aslan, ofthe nature of the comings and goings between that world and ours, and so forth is presumed in the narrative of The Magician's Nephew. No reader who begins there will have any of that. Sadly, I suspect that the re-ordering is going to deter, confuse, and diminish the reading experience of some number of kids out there. That "Once there were . . ." on the first page of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was not only there for a reason, almost as ritual a gesture as an invocation of the Muses, but it worked perfectly.

Messing with what already works . . . the George Lucas approach to Narnia. Hah, maybe we can go back, next, and better the Narnia books by removing those scuffy old two-dimensional, black-and-white illustrations and putting in exciting, 3-D, computer-generated illustrations based on actual lions, real British schoolchildren, etc. Much "better"!

I rant, therefore I am,

Larry

PS Good to talk to you again, Stanley. I think I've recovered from the metaphysical assassination attempt by Mr. whatsisname, a few months ago---the guy who said I didn't exist and was part of a wicked atheistic Web gang. Geez, I wish my life was that exciting.

PPS Have you read the mongo new Lewis letters collections? I'm drilling through Vol. I right now. Interesting, but it's outrageous and even creepy that Hooper persists in specially highlighting the naughty bits in the letters to Greeves that Lewis himself never highlighted---only Greeves, many years later (by trying to redact them)---repeating this bizarre editorial choice from the earlier edition of the Greeves letters. One might as well publish Pepys's diary with all the bits that previous editors redacted in bold type, so we can skip right to them . . .
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 28th, 2005, 12:29 am

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 28th, 2005, 2:37 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 28th, 2005, 4:53 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Pervy Bits in the Lewis Letters

Postby larry gilman » April 28th, 2005, 6:28 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis