This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

First Encounter with C.S. Lewis?

The man. The myth.

First Encounter with C.S. Lewis?

Postby Adam Linton » May 21st, 2005, 5:16 am

I thought that I would ask Wardrobians of their first encounter with a writing by Lewis.

Mine is probably a little unusual: Out of the Silent Planet. The year was 1965; I was eleven years old. My father had taken me to the old Tides bookstore in Sausalito, California with the promise to buy me any one book that I wanted (within reason). He somewhat encouraged me to choose something which would stretch my reading a bit. I found the Space Trilogy paperbacks, was interested -- and attempted, unsuccesfully, to make the case that since the three were a set, they could be counted as one. A single volume it would have to be. After wandering the Tides for a while to make sure what I wanted, selected my book. It was the rather greenish cover with the spherical vessel on the front. I read and enjoyed it. A year or so later I started on the Narnia Chronicles.

I didn't continue with the Space Trilogy until college; just as well, as I wouldn't have been ready when younger. My experience of Perelandra then (1973) was one of my most significant reading experiences ever.

Other stories?

Adam Linton
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Re: First Encounter with C.S. Lewis?

Postby john » May 21st, 2005, 6:20 am

3rd grade, when my teacher read the class The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Never thought of it again, however, until I two years later when my parents bought me the complete set for Christmas. I read it three or four times during my childhood, then was reintroduced to C. S. Lewis in a university class I took called Philosophy and Religious Thought where we read Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Bill » May 21st, 2005, 9:07 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Crusader » May 21st, 2005, 10:41 am

I have mere christianity and screwtape letters under way.

I was looking for christian books and came a cross with C. S. Lewis, it feels like destiny now. :)
"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
-Galatians, 6:9.
Crusader

Postby Karen » May 21st, 2005, 12:10 pm

I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was about 11. I liked it, but didn't get any of the Christian allusions, and proceeded to the next book, which bored me to tears. I never gave Lewis another thought until I was almost 40 and beginning to explore Christianity. I bought Mere Christianity, was bowled over, and have since read a great deal of his nonfiction. Needless to say, Lewis was a major factor in my becoming a Christian.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby .Ælfgifu. » May 21st, 2005, 1:22 pm

My Dad read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe aloud to myself and my brother when I was about seven and my brother five. I ran away in the middle, because I felt so horrible about what Edmund was doing when he scribbled on the face of the stone lion in the Witch's courtyard. It wasn't until a couple of years later when our uncle gave us a beautiful set of hardbacks with the Pauline Baynes illustrations all the way through, that I started reading them again and loved them. Later on when I started borrowing my Dad's Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke he told me I ought to read the Space Trilogy and sounded so keen that I eventually did so. After that I borrowed and bought every other Lewis book I could get my hands on.
non lucem tenebrae, sed lux tenebras superavit
.Ælfgifu.
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » May 21st, 2005, 4:07 pm

I was given a copy of The Screwtape Letters when I was in graduate school. Shortly thereafter I "fell in love" with The Great Divorce which, along with Mere Christianity, greatly helped me sort out some very difficult issues in my personal life. I only read CoN at a much later date after I saw an animated versionn of LWW on TV.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2005, 5:25 am

I was 21 when I read Lewis for the first time, but that's because I did know much about him. As I walked through the science fiction section of the library I kept encountering a green hardcover book with gold lettering on the side called "The Cosmic Trilogy" by some Lewis fellow, but never picked it up. I was also (I was in Primary School still) looking for the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander which I really wanted to read but kept running into more books by this Lewis fellow, a box-set for some place called Narnia and I though "Wrong Chronicles". And idea of them falling through a wardrobe was not (so much for blurbs) was not encouraging.

I then went through a puritan "all fantasy is evil phase" and avoided all things fantastic. Then, while going through a Christian bookshop one day with my friends, I came across the Narnian Chronicles again in the fiction section. I did not know Lewis was a Christian and the idea of such a Christian book shop having fantasy was strange. A year later I bought "The Screwtape Letters" and "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" and began my CS Lewis binge. I bought my single volume of the Chronicles and took them on a vacation with me, reading them. I checked out the green volume of the "Cosmic Trilogy" and began reading the it after I tired a bit from Narnia. I read "Out of the Silent Planet" and began Perelandra and got so darn confused that I gave it up and began reading "That Hideous Strength". After that I returned to Narnia and finished "The Silver Chair" and "The Last Battle". I ended my CS Lewis binge with "Surprised by Joy" which I love and think about often. From there I went on to Chesterton. :D and some other reads that I enjoy.

Not long after finishing "The Chronicles" and "Surprised" I joined the Wardrobe. What a great year 2002 was...

Postby Leslie » May 23rd, 2005, 1:02 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Colleen » May 23rd, 2005, 2:36 pm

I encountered Lewis twice in the years between becoming a christian at 12 and going off to college at 18. I'm not totally sure of the chronology of the two encounters, but I believe the Chronicles came first. I was at a summer christian camp. The minister who was the director announced that he would be reading a book called The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to any interested campers each evening after dark. I couldn't resist a story; it turned out to be one of the best I'd heard.

I can't remember how long it took me to discover the rest of the Chronicles. Did I search for them right after camp? Or was it when I was a newly married secretary who had time to read at her desk that I finally read the series? I'm not sure.

I am sure that I found Mere Christianity in our high school library, along with several other good apologetic books. Much of MC was beyond me, but the basics were clear and convincing.

Thank God for Reid, the camp director, wherever he is today. And for whoever put those christian books in the school library.

In grace,
Colleen
Better is dry bread and fidelity therewith, than a house full of Turkish Delight with betrayal.
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby pjb0015 » May 23rd, 2005, 6:35 pm

a member of the 2456317 club

sitting up till the small hours in someone's college rooms talking nonsense, poetry, theology, metaphysics over beer, tea, and pipes
pjb0015
Wardrobian

Postby AslansGirl » May 23rd, 2005, 7:57 pm

If you are what you should be, you will set the workd ablaze!
AslansGirl
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 24th, 2005, 1:43 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Colleen » May 24th, 2005, 1:49 pm

Better is dry bread and fidelity therewith, than a house full of Turkish Delight with betrayal.
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby ECM » May 25th, 2005, 9:56 pm

ECM

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis