This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

George MacDonald

The man. The myth.

George MacDonald

Postby Sven » June 1st, 2005, 10:46 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: George MacDonald

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I was in a bookshop a while ago and was much suprised / pleased to see a book called 'Malcolm' by George MacDonald. It turned out to be a two volume novel. More details on Amazon. co.uk

Malcolm

Re: George MacDonald

Postby Zan » June 8th, 2005, 4:00 am

For those of you who love C.S. Lewis, as I am sure most of us do here, then I strongly recommend picking up some of MacDonald's work. It becomes apparent rather quickly when reading MacDonald's work that C.S. Lewis wasn't kidding when he said the quote above.

First, it becomes rather obvious in The Great Divorce when Lewis uses MacDonald as one of the central characters. Also I believe its in Suprised By Joy that he mentions MacDonald as his mentor as well. I read Phantastes a few months ago, which is one of MacDonald's more popular ones (I loved it), the premise for Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet really seems to come out of this one, I personally saw a lot of similarities.

I am currently reading Lilith by MacDonald and will be sure to let you all know how it turns out. Thus far, its been fantastic!
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Re: Abridged (aieee!) George MacDonald + CSL praise

Postby larry gilman » June 8th, 2005, 1:50 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » June 16th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Thanks for the tip larry. I'll have to check that out.

I haven't read any of Gearge MacDonald's novels, but I read a sizeable collection of his short stories and absolutely fell in love with them. They range from fairy tale to fairly realistic, but they are all marvelous.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Cymru » June 17th, 2005, 2:05 pm

Lilith is also rife with things that inspired the Wardrobe/Narnian adventures - the doorway into another world, creatures crawling from the ground, a witch who is very like Lewis' Charn witch, and many more. I think this must be why Mr. and Mrs. Beaver tell the Pevensies that the White Witch is descended from Lilith. Lewis was owning up to the source of his ideas rather than strictly referencing the legendary myth of Lilith.

MacDonald's Lilith stems from that old legend but he gives it some unusual twists of his own.
Cymru
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis