This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

501 Chatham Marines

The man. The myth.

501 Chatham Marines

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

In the General Discussion forum today, I mentioned the bus crash which Lewis speaks about in the Shadowlands film. Here is what he says according to the book version of the film:

'Yesterday I received a letter that referred to an event that took place nearly a year ago now. December the fourth, 1951... My correspondent hadn't forgotten. I doubt that any of us have. That was the night a Number 1 bus drove into a column of young Royal Marine cadets in Chatham, and killed twenty-four of them. They were ten year old boys, marching and singing on their way to a boxing match. The road was unlit. It was a terrible accident...'

In my post I presumed that the incident was a real one. To find out, I did a little search on the net. Unfortunately, the tragic accident did indeed take place.

501 Chatham marines:

MJM

Return to C. S. Lewis