This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I need help

The man. The myth.

Postby magpie » September 7th, 2005, 9:45 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » September 7th, 2005, 9:47 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby john » September 8th, 2005, 5:56 am

Always glad to be of service. :)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » September 16th, 2005, 5:25 pm

My answer to this sort of thing has always consisted of 3 basic points. I don't have any of the texts in front of me, so I can't list chapter and verse (sorrysorrysorry), but you'll get the point.

1. In the most basic terms, the consumption of alcohol in the Bible is an ordinary, every-day thing that everybody did. This includes Jesus even to the aforementioned point of producing wine for the wedding. Biblical instructions against drunkenness may not be reasonably extrapolated to include ordinary wine-drinking.

2. Jesus teaches that one is made clean or unclean not by what goes into one's stomach, but rather by what comes out of one's heart.

3. (Reductionism argument) Remember Lewis's note early in Mere Christianity about goodness where he writes something like "A cow can be neither very good nor very bad, a dog both better and worse, a boy still better or worse, a man..., a genius..." Well, alcohol has absolutely zero capacity for independent action, and therefore has absolutely no moral qualities whatsoever.

Sometimes this question comes because people have been specifically taught (lack of Biblical support notwithstanding) that certain things are "Christian" and others are not.

But sometimes I think it comes from the error described in the Preface to Mere Christianity, where one is using "Christian" as a personal synonym for "good", "nice", "clean", "decent", "fresh-smelling", or whatever.

Pine
Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 16th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Wow, I will start useing those basic points think you Pine_Tree. :)
Ian

Postby A#minor » September 16th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Speaking of Tolkien's pipeweed....

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 23rd, 2005, 1:14 pm

Ian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis