This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

I need help

The man. The myth.

I need help

Postby Ian » September 5th, 2005, 11:00 pm

Last edited by Ian on September 16th, 2005, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Re: I need help

Postby Karen » September 6th, 2005, 12:07 am

By "weed" do you mean marijuana? I don't think that's in any of their writings. As far as smoking tobacco goes, it was not generally known to be harmful when Lewis was alive - many, many Christians smoked (and still do). As for alcohol, as long as it's taken in moderation, it's a perfectly acceptable biblical practice. You might want to try out these verses on your friends:

John 2:1-11 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine." "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come." His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now." This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 6th, 2005, 12:36 am

Think you for the vise, But when they ask me at about weed A.K.A. marijuana I think there thinking at about what the Hobbites say in Lotr, wich is something like, there is nothing like some good pipe weed, I don;t have the book right in frout of me so the quite by be off but i know it is something like that........
Ian

Postby Karen » September 6th, 2005, 12:49 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 6th, 2005, 4:12 pm

That reminds me of that fellow, (who was it? Bob Jones, Sr. I think) who said something along the lines that Lewis was a fine example of the Christian, but that since he smoke and drank, he surely wasn't saved.
People like that are ridiculously prejudiced.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » September 6th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Ian » September 6th, 2005, 8:34 pm

Think You for the quite Sven, it well hope me and in my fight....
Ian

Postby A#minor » September 6th, 2005, 10:28 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » September 7th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 7th, 2005, 4:58 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Tolkien's weed-puffing little people

Postby larry gilman » September 7th, 2005, 6:21 pm

In my teens I knew a young pothead who ardently maintained that the Hobbits' pipe-weed was pot, but he could only do so by ignoring Tolkien's own Introduction to The Fellowship of the Ring (printed in every edition of the book), section 2, "Concerning Pipe-weed": here Tolkien explicitly says that pipe-weed is "a variety probably of Nicotiana." And Nicotiana is simply the genus to which ordinary tobacco, Nicotiana tabacum, belongs---nicotine, Nicotiana.

Not that I would admit any essential contradiction to Christianity if Tolkien's "weed" were marijuana, which it certainly isn't. Alcohol is clearly permitted to Christians, and marijuana is less addictive, less harmful to the body, and associated at a far lower rate (per user) with car crashes, suicide, drowning, getting into fights, and spousal/child abuse. In large quantities it does injure the lungs, like all smoke: it can be habit-forming, like food; and if indulged in chronically and massively it can squelch motivation and reduce attention span, like television. Alcohol addiction's medical effects are far worse than those of marijuana abuse, including massive brain shrinkage, sexual atrophy, and cirrhosis of the liver; food addiction's medical side effects are also horrific. Establishment scientists have been searching earnestly for decades for something nasty to nail pot with, but compared to alcohol, it keeps on coming up pretty rosy.

Since smoking pot---occasionally, by adults---is no more harmful to the body or mind than drinking wine in moderation, I see no essential Christian case against it.

Legalize!

Radical Lar
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 7th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Is marijuana forbidden in the Bible?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby john » September 7th, 2005, 8:27 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » September 7th, 2005, 9:35 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » September 7th, 2005, 9:36 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis