This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Life

The man. The myth.

A Life

Postby Ian » September 7th, 2005, 2:36 am

Ian

Re: A Life

Postby mjmann » September 16th, 2005, 8:35 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

re: A Life

Postby Bill » October 1st, 2006, 10:23 am

Just read this for the first time. To me it appears curiously disconnected in its flow and adds nothing (for me at least) to any of the biographies which I have previously read.

One strange thing thing I noted is that when describing Jack's first visit to England to attend boarding school, he says that they sailed into Liverpool and then (as per Surprised by Joy) had him travelling by train from Fleetwood to London! Clearly if he had landed in Liverpool he would have caught the train from Liverpool, not Fleetwood which is quite a lot further north. I have always assumed that the Irish ferry landed at Fleetwood Docks.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 3rd, 2006, 6:46 am

Uh, just to be a fly in the ointment, mjmann, Michael White's Tolkien bio sucked eggs, and showed an abysmal knowledge of his friendship with Lewis. He focused on all of the lurid and sensational stuff, and his research on the Lewis chapter (ch 8) (I was already pretty well-versed on Lewis when I read it) looked like it had been lifted from Google-searching. It seemed like the central focus was not on their long friendship, but almost entirely on how it fell apart (and I believe he exaggerates the extent of falling apart), and presents as fact an alleged inappropriate relationship between Lewis and Mrs. Moore. (We hashed that all over in a thread on this forum.) I have it, but would burn it if it were convenient. I wouldn't touch his Lewis bio.

No offense, Ian, but you should work on your spelling a little.

Update: White would've done well to listen to this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ewis&hl=en
(thanks to mgton for the link)
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » October 3rd, 2006, 8:48 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis