This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Expulsion b/c of Screwtape

The man. The myth.

Expulsion b/c of Screwtape

Postby A#minor » September 22nd, 2005, 2:56 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: Expulsion b/c of Screwtape

Postby Karen » September 22nd, 2005, 3:45 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 22nd, 2005, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Karen.
Why do you suppose the girl was expelled? Maybe they thought she was just reading some book about demons, not realizing that it had a Christian message? Pretty crazy.

It strikes me that if the book was so controversial as to cause someone to be expelled, then it must have some truth in it; in fact a great deal of truth.
Jesus was crucified for telling the truth, for challenging the traditions, and for declaring a new law.
The very fact that there is opposition suggests that there is right and godliness in it; Satan is fighting back.
:think: hhhmmm...something to think about.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 23rd, 2005, 12:52 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » September 25th, 2005, 2:06 am

I remember when I purchased a copy of The Screwtape Letters during my teen years. There was a police officer in the store, talking with the clerk. When I put the book down, he leant over and read the title, then turned to me. "Do your parents know you're reading stuff like that?" he said in a very concerned voice.
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » September 28th, 2005, 7:33 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 28th, 2005, 8:16 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: Expulsion b/c of Screwtape

Postby magpie » September 29th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Last fall I lead a book study at church on The Screwtape Letters. One woman (not uneducated) asked me why we were reading such a "horrid" book and remarked that it's author "could not possbily be a Christian." Despite its long use as a literary device, some people just can't bend their minds to a different "point of view."
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » September 29th, 2005, 10:15 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 29th, 2005, 11:53 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » September 30th, 2005, 1:32 am

wood-maid
Wardrobian

CON?

Postby David » October 9th, 2005, 10:09 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

screwtape

Postby David » October 9th, 2005, 10:14 pm

A friend of mine once taught a class at an ulti-fundamentalist grade school in Kentucky. He did this while taking classes at Western Kentucky University. The pastor/principal there said Lewis was not a Christian. Once someone showed him a copy of The Screwtape Letters and he said, "Yes, that's the book where he calls God 'the Enemy'." The stupidity of some people simply leaves you speechless.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: CON?

Postby Karen » October 9th, 2005, 10:29 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Re: screwtape

Postby magpie » October 10th, 2005, 4:08 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis