This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Did Lewis and Tolkein not get along in later years?

The man. The myth.

Did Lewis and Tolkein not get along in later years?

Postby Ahutchga1972 » October 30th, 2005, 1:16 am

Ahutchga1972
Wardrobian

re: Did Lewis and Tolkein not get along in later years?

Postby Leslie » October 30th, 2005, 2:19 am

Welcome to the wardrobe!

Yes, their friendship did cool, especially after Lewis married. Tolkien did not get along with Joy Gresham.

He also didn't approve of Lewis' apologetic works. He thought that sort of thing should be left to professional theologians. It is also thought by some that Tolkien had hoped that Lewis would eventually join the Catholic church, and his disappointment at Lewis deliberately remaining Protestant came between them.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » October 30th, 2005, 11:05 am

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » October 30th, 2005, 2:07 pm

His marriage to Joy was, at first, just an act to allow her to stay in England. Later they fell in love and married for real (in God's eyes, according to Lewis). And apparently, based on A Grief Observed, their marriage was a swimming pool of pleasure.

But Lewis had abandoned his "confirmed bachelor" image with his marriage. And apparently, his friends didn't care too much for that.

Tolkien had many problems with Lewis. And though I think his LOTR has more mythological depth than Lewis' fiction, I still prefer Lewis. I get the impression that all Lewis' friends had little boxes for him to conform too. And when he didn't conform, they were almost resentful.

I can relate. When a long time friend of mine announced he was moving to Texas, I had to restrain a horrible inclination to tell him to stay so the quiet "normalcy" I had grown accustomed too wouldn't be stirred.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » October 30th, 2005, 2:16 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Did Lewis and Tolkein not get along in later years?

Postby Leslie » October 30th, 2005, 6:10 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis