This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

new books

The man. The myth.

new books

Postby Leslie » November 22nd, 2005, 3:18 am

In front of me I have a parcel of new books: among them, Seeking the Secret Place: The Spiritual Formation of C. S. Lewis by Lyle Dorsett, and Jack's Life: The Life Story of C. S. Lewis by Douglas Gresham.

*rubs hands together and chortles with glee*
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

re: new books

Postby A#minor » November 22nd, 2005, 5:40 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » November 25th, 2005, 5:24 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 25th, 2005, 9:48 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: re: new books

Postby wood-maid » November 27th, 2005, 3:28 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Re: re: new books

Postby Sven » November 27th, 2005, 1:02 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby wood-maid » November 27th, 2005, 10:02 pm

It doesn't sound as detailed, then. Thanks for the description, I think I won't put my money into it - I'll just wait til the library gets it.
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 4th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » January 4th, 2006, 10:33 pm

I just finished "Jack's Life" and I'll have to admit I was a bit disappointed. The style wasn't as natural as "Lenten Lands"; it felt a bit stilted to me. :/ I was a little surprised at just how different the two were; I loved LL.
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » January 4th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I think Jack's Life needed more editing, and his publisher did him a great disservice by not providing it. There was a lot of repetition and rambling in the chapters dealing with Lewis' young adulthood. Also, I think Gresham was trying to write at a very accessible, low reading level.

It focused on his home life, which was nice, and there was some new information (new to me, anyway). But I found it a frustrating read, sensing that there was more to be told.

A strength of the book would have been examining the relationship between Lewis and his stepsons, especially after Joy's death, but it doesn't happen. We get three sentences, telling us that "Jack did everything he could to help these two young men." It would have been nice to know what some of this "everything" was. In Lenten Lands, Gresham's autobiography, gives some of this information, but it would have been interesting to read about these years with the focus on Lewis.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 4th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Yes I would have to agree with you on this one. I have read better Lewis Bios before. But I stell thought this one was good.
Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis