This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis Letter

The man. The myth.

Lewis Letter

Postby loeee » November 26th, 2005, 4:58 am

I am reading, for the first time, Letters of C.S. Lewis edited by W.H. Lewis. This one, dated 8 February 1939 is just too delicious not to share.

You will be able to hear Tillyard and me finishing our controversy viva voce... No doubt I shall be defeated ...

I don't know if Plato
did write the Phaedo: the canon of these ancient writers, under the surface, is still quite chaotic. It is also a very corrupt text. Bring it along by all means, but don't pitch your hopes too high. We are both getting so rusty that we shall make very little of it — and my distrust of all lexicons and translations is increasing. Also of Plato — and of the human mind.

I suppose for the sake of the others we must do something about arranging a walk. These maps are so unreliable by now that it is rather a farce — but still "Try, lad, try! no harm in trying". Of course hardly any districts in England are unspoiled enough to make walking worth while: and with two new members — I have very little doubt it will be a ghastly failure.

I haven't seen Charles Williams' play: it is not likely to be at all good. As for
Orpheus — again, it's no harm trying. If you can't write it, console yourself by reflecting that if you did you would have been very unlikely to get a publisher. I am more and more convinced that there is no future for poetry.

Nearly everybody has been ill here: I try to prevent them all croaking and grumbling, but it is hard being the only optimist.

I'm sure Warnie edited that to make it more pronounced, but that last line had me shouting with laughter (rather scared the cat).
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Re: Lewis Letter

Postby Charis » November 26th, 2005, 2:54 pm

Charis
Wardrobian

re: Lewis Letter

Postby Leslie » November 26th, 2005, 11:43 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: Lewis Letter

Postby wood-maid » November 27th, 2005, 3:24 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis Letter

Postby Charis » November 27th, 2005, 10:40 am

Charis
Wardrobian

re: Lewis Letter

Postby loeee » November 28th, 2005, 7:47 pm

Actually, Lewis liked Williams' novels very much, but was not generally hipped on his other prose or most of his poetry (except Talliesin through Logres).
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis