This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Birthday

The man. The myth.

Birthday

Postby simplicity » November 28th, 2005, 9:04 pm

simplicity
Wardrobian

re: Birthday

Postby A#minor » November 28th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Happy Birthday to Jack!
For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellooooooww, which nobody can deny!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Boyd Britton » November 28th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Boyd Britton
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » November 29th, 2005, 12:43 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » November 29th, 2005, 1:00 am

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 30th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Since November 29 is, in addition to Lewis' birthday, also the anniversary of the day Angelee and I met (introduced by a mutual friend who knew of our common interest in Lewis, but none of us knowing when Lewis' birthday was at the time), along with the birthday of our godson, we always celebrate the day.

Last night Angelee fixed a special dinner of Steak Diane with fillet mignon (a rare treat at our house), orange/almond salad (supposedly the recipe from The Magic Pan restaurant, one of our favourites when it was still around) and baked potatoe (spelling tribute to Dan Quayle:-) with all the horribly unhealthy trimmings, and a very nice cab wine from one of our favourite out-of-the-way wineries in Paso Robles called "Dark Star". Then some very dark chocolate with more of the wine out in the garden (the evening weather, though a bit cool for "perfect" comfort, gave a sense of briskness and excitement -- the wine helped there, I'm sure -- and was perfectly complimented afterwards by a cozy sit by the glowing fireplace.

Angelee spent the rest of the evening reading the section on friendship from Lewis' The Four Loves aloud to us. Gawain would have heard it years ago when she read the book to him, but it was long enough ago that he wouldn't have remembered much. She selected that, both because that sort of friendship was the basis of our initial relationship, which can only be of benefit in a marriage, and also because Gawain has of late had his eye on a girl at church and at 14 we want to especially emphasize the "friendship" aspect:-)

Anyway, it was a delightful evening -- wish you all could have been there to join in!

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » November 30th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Cheers Jack!
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Re: re: Birthday

Postby wood-maid » November 30th, 2005, 7:14 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » December 5th, 2005, 10:38 pm

[quote="Stanley Anderson"]Since November 29 is, in addition to Lewis' birthday, also the anniversary of the day Angelee and I met (introduced by a mutual friend who knew of our common interest in Lewis, but none of us knowing when Lewis' birthday was at the time), along with the birthday of our godson, we always celebrate the day.

What a great story, Stanley! I have a not too dissimilar one (in that it has a few Lewis related coincidences) which might raise a smile.
I have a good friend here in Aberdeen, an eccentric Englishman, with whom I once formed an 'inklings-style' reading group. It was short-lived and was (at least partially) set up as an alternative to the city's big charasmatic christian youth event, which we had no interest in attending. Anyway, it wasn't long before this friend gave me the nickname 'Jack', partly due to my admiration for the great man and partly because it was my mum's maiden name (I always think of myself as a Jack rather than a Pirie, since I am much closer to that side of the family.) To top it all off, my friend's name is Alec Warren, so I decided to return the compliment and call him 'Warnie.' Both names have stuck, although only between ourselves and our 'literary-minded' friends. Everyone else thinks we've lost the plot!
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 5th, 2005, 10:54 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » December 5th, 2005, 11:10 pm

David Jack
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis