This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis versus Narnia movies?

The man. The myth.

Lewis versus Narnia movies?

Postby larry gilman » November 29th, 2005, 9:02 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

re: Lewis versus Narnia movies?

Postby Sven » November 29th, 2005, 9:48 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby iota » November 30th, 2005, 12:51 am

iota
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 30th, 2005, 1:37 am

Yes, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver looked so real in the trailer. But today the technology is available to create the realism. I did like the actors that played the beavers in the BBC movies. They spoke with a kind of "beaver voice" and moved something like the animals they were playing. That made up (at least to some degree) for what the costumes lacked.

I don't think we should always agree with an author who says that no movies or plays should ever be made which are based on their books. Every opportunity should be used to promote interest in a great author's books-- the media, theater, radio, recordings, technology, or whatever. The BBC series, although not perfect, was great to attract children to the world of C.S. Lewis' Narnia. Hopefully, the new movie of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will have an even more positive influence.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis versus Narnia movies?

Postby Highgate70 » November 30th, 2005, 4:41 pm

Highgate70
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » November 30th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Interesting... dunno if it is authentic though... Did find the comments on the forums of that site regarding this issue interesting though...
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

On movies of books

Postby larry gilman » November 30th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Last edited by larry gilman on November 30th, 2005, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » November 30th, 2005, 7:32 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » November 30th, 2005, 9:15 pm

You all have a misunderstanding about what Lewis would have objected to. It isn't the quality of the movie that he had problems with, it was the way visual images cemented the appearance of a literary charecter in a child's imagination. He preferred for kids to draw a picture in their own minds, or even on their own paper. If anything, I think he would object more to good CGI than the "BBC buffonery" for that reason.

I've mentioned before that I'm fairly certain Lewis would not approve of any visual version, TV or movie, of his children's work. That's not going to stop me from seeing and enjoying the movie.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby larry gilman » November 30th, 2005, 9:37 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » December 1st, 2005, 9:02 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » December 1st, 2005, 11:54 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 2nd, 2005, 3:11 am

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby DreamChild » December 17th, 2005, 7:31 am

Hmmm I heard of this countless times and I will say this the film was actually good. I mean I tend to look the other way when I see films that are based on books... By looking the other way I can see a movie without fault. I think they did a good job and I am sure Lewis would not be as mad as we all think he would be. But it is really what you think of it as. I think in all reality this is an interpretation of the books. We all have our own thoughts of Narnia and the films did capture what I always pictured Narnia to be. So yeah of course I liked it... But the books will always stand out as number one.
/ ///
DreamChild
Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 17th, 2005, 10:27 am

This article or one like it was published in our local weekend paper today, saying it was from the Sunday Times or some such. It said it was from a new letter, just discovered by Walter Hooper and about to be published in a new collection of letters.

I don't know why Mr Hooper would make such a claim, since the letter has been part of commonly quoted mateial for years! If Mr Hooper wants to use the release of the film as a boost to sales of his books, that is his choice, and not surprising. I just hope he is not really suggesting he has found new material, suddenly, on the eve of the film's release.
carol
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis