This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Books about Lewis

The man. The myth.

Books about Lewis

Postby Karen » December 2nd, 2005, 5:32 pm

a roundup from Christianity Today of the most recent books about Lewis and Narnia. Our own Paul Ford's Companion to Narnia is there, of course. :)
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: Books about Lewis

Postby wood-maid » December 4th, 2005, 5:28 am

It's pessimistic of me, but I can't help but wonder if some of these people are just out to make money. Either that or they're not willing to put much time and effort into their books. I read Aslan's Call, which came out recently, and was totally unimpressed. It seemed fluffy to me, not much depth or purpose there. (no offense to the author intended) I heard a similar comment about Bruce Edwards' book, but I haven't read it yet so will with hold judgement. :)

Anyway, I didn't see so many of those type of books on the list you linked to, but at Wal-Mart the other day I saw at least a dozen Narnia books and flipping through them, I was disappointed and unimpressed.

You can tell when authors really love Lewis and his writings. You can sense thought, interest, commitment to real understanding, and time and effort. That's what I like to see.

Maybe I'm just being picky, since pre-movie era (am I right?) it seems like books about Lewis' and his writings were more scholarly or at least had more depth. Walter Hooper, Colin Duriez, Peter Schakel, Brian Sibley, Paul Ford...they're on a different level than these paperback "see God in Narnia" or "how to understand Narnia" books.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 5th, 2005, 1:43 am

I agree that some people are taking advantage of the movie to sell books. Like Narnia for Dummies, is that really necessary? Is it really that hard to understand a few children's books?
It's just a device to make more money. I think Lewis would have been disgusted by it. (Not the books necesarily, but the attitude behind them.)
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: Books about Lewis

Postby mjmann » December 5th, 2005, 9:19 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Ward » June 21st, 2006, 5:06 pm

Ward
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » June 22nd, 2006, 1:43 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis