This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

a two-tiered question.

The man. The myth.

a two-tiered question.

Postby Hector's House » December 13th, 2005, 6:05 pm

The first tier:
Earlier today, at school a mate and myself posted a question regarding Lewis' conversion, related to the writings of Rudolf Otto and William James. I've done a search for it, and it seems to have gone. Where? I don't know. My first guess is that it may have been deleted by the moderators.

The second tier: asking the question again:

How far do you think Lewis' conversion agrees with what William James and Rudolf Otto write about religious experience?
You are reading this because:
a) you have functioning eyes, and
b) I typed this.
Hector's House

re: a two-tiered question.

Postby carol » December 13th, 2005, 6:20 pm

Can you give us a quick summary of what these people wrote? I've never heard of them. (On the other hand, if we don't come up with anything here, info about Lewis' conversion is easily available - eg "Surprised by Joy", his own spiritual autobiography.)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 13th, 2005, 6:23 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Re: re: a two-tiered question.

Postby Hector's House » December 13th, 2005, 6:48 pm

b) I typed this.
Hector's House

Postby mjmann » December 13th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Rudolph Otto wrote a book called The Idea of the Holy, which Lewis named as being one of (the ten) books that most influenced him.
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 13th, 2005, 7:35 pm

William James (brother of Henry) wrote The Varieties of Religious Experience, a study in the psychology of religion.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » December 13th, 2005, 10:27 pm

:grin:

Someone mentioned Rudolf Otto!!!!! I knew this was one of the best forums on the net!!!!!!!!!!

I love Otto, first read him in college and have recently read Idea of the Holy again...

Otto stated that religion is a group of emotions. You don't follow in a religion because of what you get out of it in a material sense but more in a way of how it makes you feel.

He goes on to explain that everything that we have to say about God is rational. However, everything about God is (in a sense) irrational meaning that to experience the Holy (numinous) can't be described truthfully because how it effects a person can't be described in words.

....... in a nutshell :p
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Re: a two-tiered question.

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 14th, 2005, 5:41 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 14th, 2005, 9:47 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Hector's House » December 14th, 2005, 11:18 pm

b) I typed this.
Hector's House

Postby Karen » December 14th, 2005, 11:23 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Hector's House » December 14th, 2005, 11:51 pm

b) I typed this.
Hector's House

Postby wood-maid » December 21st, 2005, 7:57 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 23rd, 2005, 6:22 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » December 25th, 2005, 12:37 am

Thanks, that was my question! I'd prefer the original, I think our local Christian bookstore has it. I especially like the scripture references you have, as I noticed when flipping through it. It's nice to have everything all together, to reference.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis