This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What religion is C S Lewis?

The man. The myth.

Re: re: What religion is C S Lewis?

Postby magpie » January 27th, 2006, 5:03 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

re: What religion is C S Lewis?

Postby bingley » January 28th, 2006, 1:14 am

bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 30th, 2006, 12:55 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Nicholas » March 14th, 2006, 3:29 am

Nicholas

Postby astrangeruponearth » March 14th, 2006, 9:34 am

In Anglican usage the term papalist is not a derogatory one. Nevertheless, it has always been looked on as a somewhat illogical view by those who do not share it.
It seems that Anglicans have always included amongst them some with a taste for ‘things Roman’ and in extreme cases they became known as papalists, sometimes spelt with a capitol P, as if to indicate a more extreme view. Yet, papalism does have its own internal logic not always understood. It involves complete obedience to the Roman line in all things except Anglican Orders.
Commenting on this Father Colin Stephenson says
There is the remarkable example of Bishop Goodman of Gloucester, so heartily disliked by Archbishop Laud, who was such a convinced papalist that he even went so far as to enquire from Rome if he might be received as a Roman layman while remaining an Anglican bishop. He recited the Roman Breviary and ordained from the Latin Ordinal, but one fears that his continuing in the Church of England was not entirely unconnected with the emoluments of his See.
As far as the internal logic of papalism as an Anglican's theological position goes it seems to me to be valid. After all the C. of E. is as much part of the Western Church as anyone. At least up to the time of the 'women's measure'.
As to whether or not papalist can be a dergatory term I think it does indeed depend on the context and, probably more importantly, on intention.
It only occured to me later that Eastern Catholics are papalists but NOT Roman Catholics. Of course, ECs retain their eastern liturgy married clergy etc etc yet are in communion with the Pope of Rome.
astrangeruponearth

Postby astrangeruponearth » April 3rd, 2006, 1:56 am

astrangeruponearth

Postby Charis » April 4th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Charis
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » April 4th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » April 14th, 2006, 3:16 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 16th, 2006, 7:54 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 16th, 2006, 9:03 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis