This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

The man. The myth.

Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

Postby mjmann » February 6th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Douglas Gresham has written a memoir of C. S. Lewis entitled Jack's Life. I started reading it at the weekend and am continuing with reservations. This is because, as a biography the book has so far not added much to what I already knew about Lewis. That is disappointing on account of Gresham being Lewis' stepson. Although, bearing in mind that C. S. L died when Gresham was still only 18, perhaps it is being unreasonable to expect him to know much more than other biographers about Lewis' early life.

On the plus side, the book has a nice conversational style with Gresham not afraid to bring the author's opinions to bear on the matter that he is discussing. Speaking of conversation, the book came with a DVD of Gresham 'in conversation'.

However, one or two of his asides have come across as being somewhat twee. Judging by the book's literary style, it is clearly aimed at children. Children, presumably, in 2006, not in 1946. But that does not stop Gresham saying of Lewis's first experience of joy that it was the kind of delight that makes one shiver and say 'something like "golly, golly."'. I don't know what it is like in Ireland, where Gresham lives now, but I fancy that as many children there say "golly" in response to some excitement as they do in England or anywhere else, i.e., not many.

It makes me think that Lewis's influence on Gresham is so strong that, just as Walter Hooper began writing like him, so Gresham employs the same kind of language as Lewis would in writing to children. This is a little unfortunate but it will be interesting to see how the narrative develops, if indeed it does.

Has anyone else read the book? It would be good to hear what you thought of it.
mjmann
Wardrobian

re: Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

Postby wood-maid » February 6th, 2006, 8:21 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Re: re: Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

Postby mjmann » February 6th, 2006, 8:26 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » February 7th, 2006, 12:34 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » February 7th, 2006, 4:59 am

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » February 7th, 2006, 2:46 pm

I read 'Jack's Life' as soon as it came out, and enjoyed it very much. It was a bit simple and slightly scattered, (or so I thought) but that didn't stop my enjoyment of the book overall, (although I'll admit I haven't yet read 'Lenten Lands' so I have nothing to compare it with). However, compared to Green's Biography, I thought 'Jack's Life' more personal and gave me more insight (particularly into Lewis's sufferings in general).
Lara
Wardrobian

Re: Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

Postby mjmann » February 8th, 2006, 10:10 pm

I have now finished Jack's Life. While I am satisfied that I have not wasted my time with this book, I can't help but feel that it would have been more appropriate as an article in a magazine or newspaper. Quite simply, when it comes to Lewis's life pre-the Gresham marriage, Gresham really doesn't add much more than you could find in A. N. Wilson, Humphrey Carpenter or whoever. There is the odd anecdote here and there but not much. To his credit, Gresham does not engage in the kind of pseudo-Psychologising that, say, Michael White indulged in in his recent biography of Lewis. If he does not know the truth of a matter (e.g. why Lewis took care of Mrs Moore) he says so. So far as Lewis's life after his marriage to Joy Gresham is concerned, Douglas Gresham is equally vague. I mentioned earlier a negative review of Lenten Lands at Amazon.co.uk. The reviewer said that Gresham spent most of his 10 years as Lewis's stepson(to be) at boarding school and only got to know the great man during the summer. This book proves it. Either that or Gresham is very respectful of Lewis's privacy, which makes his decision to write a biography very odd indeed.

The vagueness of Jack's Life is a key feature of it. Events are glossed over or ignored altogether. In the case of the former you can count most of Lewis's books. It is astonishing to say but Gresham offers no significant opinion on any of them. Regarding the latter you can count Lewis's sexual predilections in the 10s and 20s, his ruthlessness as a debater or residue religious bias. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing. However, Gresham's construction of Lewis as a living Saint (in the manner, say, of Mother Theresa or Pope John Paul II) would mean more if did not dealt with the whole Lewis and not just the parts that he happened to like.

One last point, Gresham at one point calls J. R. R. Tolkien 'narrow minded' and in the context of the discussion, just about gets away with it, however, he then goes on to suggest that Lewis knew more about mythology than Tolkien. This I am not so sure of. I only refrain from saying 'is not true' because I do not know what either men read in this subject. However, given Tolkien's mythological interests, I do find it hard to agree with Gresham's statement. It would be very interesting, however, to find out what other people think.

When all is said and done, I do recommend this book. It is a hagiography but has been written by one who was close to Lewis - in spirit if nothing else (he was 18 when C. S. L. died). - and so may be read with profit by anyone who is interested in understanding C. S. Lewis.
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Gill » February 9th, 2006, 2:41 am

Gill
Wardrobian

Re: Jack's Life - Douglas Gresham

Postby wood-maid » February 9th, 2006, 5:08 pm

wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » February 10th, 2006, 8:32 pm

I read Jack's Life and quite enjoyed it, but I have yet to read the more in-depth biographies, so I suppose it can serve as a good introduction to his life. I heard Gresham speak about it at a book signing and he made a vague indication that he had written the book for children, so perhaps he was thinking that it would be a good introduction for children who were just encountering the Chronicles for the first time, as so many are with the new movie. If this is the case, I think he did a fine job, the only problem being that it's not very clear from the onset what he's doing, and so the adult or more advanced reader doesn't know what to expect. He also clearly emphasized the fact that he wanted it to be a more personal and less academic biography, so perhaps that's why he's so vague about certain things?? I suppose we can forgive Gresham for being a bit partial, since Lewis, who was undoubtedly a very kind and loving man, was basically the only parent he had after his mother died and has probably served as a spiritual hero to Gresham for all of his adult life. I think it would probably be hard for me to write a completely objective book in such a situation.

All that to say, I think it would be an excellent book for someone who would like to know a little about Lewis, or would like a good introduction before delving into more advanced studies. I know it whetted my appetite to go on and read more. Perhaps it will do the same for others.
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » February 12th, 2006, 11:46 pm

wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » February 13th, 2006, 12:34 am

The ones who have read it. What did you think of the DVD that came with the book.?
Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » February 13th, 2006, 4:47 am

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » March 29th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Yes when he did said that it was moving to me.

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 29th, 2006, 8:51 pm

I've not read it or even heard of it though I'd be interested to. I wonder sometimes though whether people consider or expect Gresham to be too much of an authority on Lewis, given that he was a step-son and young when Lewis died (how old was he when his mother and Lewis married?). I daresay that there were many others who knew him much better.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis