This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis' favorite beer?

The man. The myth.

Re: re: Lewis' favorite beer?

Postby Karen » April 4th, 2006, 7:30 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: Lewis' favorite beer?

Postby jo » April 4th, 2006, 7:39 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 4th, 2006, 8:00 pm

a little off topic, I suppose, but the painting reminded me of this. Has anyone ever seen the 1935 film Folies Bergère de Paris with Maruice Chevalier? We saw it by chance a few years ago when someone who had a video (taped off of a movie channel) recommended it to us. We were reluctant, but were delightfully surprised by a very fun plot and overall enjoyable movie. I've looked for it since on amazon and other places to no avail.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby wolverine888 » April 6th, 2006, 7:26 pm

wolverine888

Postby jo » April 6th, 2006, 7:53 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Charis » April 6th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Charis
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 6th, 2006, 9:49 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Charis » April 7th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Charis
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 7th, 2006, 6:05 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Charis » April 7th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Charis
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 7th, 2006, 7:52 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » April 23rd, 2006, 7:03 pm

The thread asking about Lewis' smoking preferences reminded me a study note I made back in the mid 90s. When I dug it out, I found it also had some info pertinent to this thread. Sorry I didn't remember it sooner. I don't know where I got the information from, some book or article I read back then. I wrote a note to myself, and failed to record the citation (bad Sven, bad) But, anyway, here the note is, for what little it's worth without my knowing the source of the information I was recording.

"According to a letter from Douglas Gresham, the Lewis brothers both preferred Three Nuns and Gold Block brands of pipe tobacco, and they usually smoked Gold Flake and Senior Service cigarettes with Players Navy Cut as a second choice. Lewis' favorite beer was a good draft bitter preferably off the wood if well kept. Disliked bottled beer, loathed canned beer. For tea liked very, very strong Indian or Ceylon. "

The letter in question wasn't to me, but to whomever wrote the article or book. I don't know myself what 'off the wood' means in regard to draft bitter, perhaps one of the English pub frequenters could explain. heh, if one does, I'll add it to my note and remember to at least note their name.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby jo » April 23rd, 2006, 7:43 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis