This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Would Lewis like us?

The man. The myth.

re: Would Lewis like us?

Postby jo » March 26th, 2006, 10:48 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Would Lewis like us?

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 26th, 2006, 6:55 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 26th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I've seen it used on GC as a sort of moral lesson, Stan :)
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 26th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » March 27th, 2006, 9:38 am

From the time I was 13 and reading the Narnia books, I have wished I could meet Lewis. After I finished The Last Battle, I wrote him a letter, and then I discovered he had died six years before I was born. What a blow!

I have no illusions about my ability to keep up with his mind, but I would have loved just sitting and listening to him talk about the things he was writing. One of the things that amazes me about his writing is that this man of such great intellect was able to put things so clearly and make them so easy to understand (Pilgrim's Regress was an exception, but I persevered to the end anyway... I should read it again now and see if I can understand it any better at 36 than I did at 15). Too many people of great intellect write only for other people of equal intellect. Lewis wasn't like that at all. I can't count the number of, "Of course... that's right... why didn't I ever think of it that way before?" moments I've had reading Lewis's books.

Just with the Narnia books and Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis's books have influenced my faith more than any other book besides the Bible itself. I would have liked to meet him (or at least write to him) to let him know this and to thank him.

I once consoled myself with the thought that I would meet him in Heaven someday. Then I read something he wrote (in Mere Christianity, I think--it's been a while) that reminded me, when I get to Heaven, I'll be far more interested in Someone else.
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 27th, 2006, 10:06 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » March 27th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 27th, 2006, 2:20 pm

That's a fair point Monica :). I was thinking though that the physical effects of the lust and the actual eating aren't the same though :D

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 27th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » March 27th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 27th, 2006, 9:21 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » March 28th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » March 29th, 2006, 8:51 am

Just this last Sunday, I seductively pulled back the paper towel from several slices of fried bacon and held the plate tantalizingly out of my husband's reach. I thought of that quote immediately.

Mr. Lewis would not have liked me. :( Obnoxious american female striding about in a man's world, smoking [but not chomping] cigars...

Hi Monica, long time no see.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » March 29th, 2006, 11:54 am

You smoke cigars?! I didn't know that :D

I've been wondering lately if I've been wronging Lewis, by assuming that he wouldn't like most of the female members of the board. Maybe he'd just - I dunno, be shy or something. I suppose modern women would seem a little strange to someone from his era..

jo
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » March 29th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Maybe if he'd had a daughter he'd have lost some of his fear? I get an overwhelming sense of fear from him about women. He seemed to be a really decent sort though, capable of changing his opinions, when confronted with new evidence.

I keep wondering what he would have thought of the Vietnam war and everything that's come since.

I only smoked one cigar on New Year's Eve, and I did it, because I discovered that my husband had been smoking cigars in Iraq, and he does not smoke. Nor do I. I wanted to know how it was possible for him to smoke a cigar. I found out it is possible to smoke a cigar without inhaling the smoke. My husband and his friends had discovered that the cigar smoke kept pesky colonels away. Kind of like mosquito coils :grin:
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis