This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What was Lewis's best book?

The man. The myth.

12%
4%
No votes
8%
3%
1%
7%
3%
21%
13%
8%
3%
12%
3%
2%
No votes
No votes
No votes
2%

Total votes : 119

Re: What was Lewis's best book?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 17th, 2010, 1:45 pm

I really struggled in reading and trying to understand the Abolition of Man. I didn't get far. It was very high-concept thinking and what I understood was interesting but I found the writing dry and archaic. I found similar themes in his book - That Hideous Strength and enjoyed that much more. But then again, I do generally prefer fiction over non-fiction.

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 17th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 18th, 2010, 12:20 am

You know it's not just about science vs magic vs religion - the moral law and absolute truth are the real main point(s)

Very true. Yes, I understand that is the case. Thanks

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 18th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 18th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 19th, 2010, 5:45 am

I've read Till We Have Faces and I didn't like it at all. I may have to go back and read it again sometime. But I'm in no hurry.
As for The Four Loves, I can't seem to find it. Interesting point about Plato. His teachings were very interesting.

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby equustel » May 26th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Till We Have Faces is far and away my favorite Lewis; in fact, it is probably my favorite piece of fiction ever. I completely understand why some people have trouble getting through it. Not the most accessible thing Lewis ever wrote, and a big departure from his signature voice and style. But when I first read it, something in me changed. No book before or since has spoken to me on such a level.

Besides the personal significance, I also love how it reflects Lewis's growth as a person. The first part of the book was written before he had become a Christian, which gives it so much added weight (as well as everything that follows). And then there's the way he writes Orual - I think his relationship with Joy is part of what made him able to flesh out such a real, three-dimensional female perspective, with such a geniune voice. Amazing character.

I quote the ending lines all the time, whenever I become too distracted in my pursuit (and occasional demand of) answers to the Big Questions.
equustel

Postby nomad » June 12th, 2010, 3:04 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby galion » June 12th, 2010, 2:06 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » June 12th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Yes, The Shoddy Lands is certainly the worst, but it is kind of funny and I think it was meant to be.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby galion » June 12th, 2010, 7:05 pm

The reason I picked it was that it gives an insight into the unregenerate Lewis's idea of what women really think about! - answering Freud's famous question "Was will das Weib??"
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » June 12th, 2010, 7:32 pm

If Lewis had written little else, one could by todays standards label him a sexist based on that story, but what could he have said about what all young men really think about; would it not have been much worse! (speaking for myself of course!)

To me, aside from his English Literature In The Sixteenth Century Excluding Drama, my favorite is still TWHF.
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby Lucys_Wardrobe » July 12th, 2010, 11:49 am

I love all of C.S. Lewis's works, and they are all the best in my opinion for different reasons, because a lot of them are deep and make you view things differently after reading them, but I would have to say all the Narnia books are my favorite, because when I read I love to go to a different place, become the characters while reading and escaping the real-world around me. What better place for that to happened than in a fantastic series of books like The Chronicles of Narnia.
Lucys_Wardrobe

Postby Mavramorn » August 18th, 2010, 3:29 am

The Silver Chair ... nuff said
"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

Postby Matthew Whaley » August 18th, 2010, 4:35 am

Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis