This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What was Lewis's best book?

The man. The myth.

What is your favourite Lewis book?

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
12%
The Magician's Nephew/The Horse and His Boy
4%
Prince Caspian/The Silver Chair
No votes
The Last Battle
8%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3%
Out of the Silent Planet
1%
Perelandra
7%
That Hideous Strength
3%
Till We Have Faces
21%
The Great Divorce
13%
The Screwtape Letters
8%
The Problem of Pain
3%
Mere Christianity
12%
A Grief Observed
3%
Surprised by Joy
2%
Letters to Malcolm
No votes
Allegory of Love
No votes
A Preface to Paradise Lost
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes : 119

Postby john » 07 Mar 2007, 19:18

King Edmund at 3:38 pm wrote:hmmm. Well!

King Edmund at 3:38 pm wrote:hmmm. Well!

King Edmund at 3:38 pm wrote:hmmm.

You do realize, of course, that what you've done here is called flooding and isn't really something we like to do around these parts. :tsk:
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » 07 Mar 2007, 20:40

On that John. I tried to go back and erase the first two like I used to be able to do. For some reason either I or my computer had taken a double triple take on that. I'm not sure how it happened.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby john » 08 Mar 2007, 09:56

I see...members haven't been able to delete posts in quite some time. You can, however, edit your posts. Most people either put [removed] or just a period in place.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » 08 Mar 2007, 15:46

I tried a period on the last one and it would not let me. It said I had to have a message. And quite honestly was not going to try to add a message on each one of them and so I decided to leave it alone.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby john » 08 Mar 2007, 18:17

Well, then a period and a space... *shrug*
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » 08 Mar 2007, 18:39

Okay. I'll see if it works again.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » 05 Aug 2007, 14:58

I've just read The Great Divorce, an excellent read. Short but it has a lot to digest. Some of the wording structure was a bit odd (although normal for the time it was written). Highly recommended.

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby MoogieCha » 27 Aug 2007, 05:38

I'm not sure I should be voting because I haven't read all his books.

But Mere Christianity is the best that I have read. It was the first of Lewis' books I'd ever read as an adult and I was blown away by his skill with words. I've always struggled with verbosity (as any of you who've waded through my posts can attest to!) and I marvelled at how much he was able to say with so little! That's a master!

I probably got the most out of The Four Loves though. Just where I was at the time, more than anything.

By the way, why aren't we allowed to speak of Lewis' private life?
MoogieCha
Wardrobian

Postby NescaPoulita » 24 Jun 2008, 22:46

I didn't saw The Screwtape Letters in there... This was the first C.S. Lewis book I read and I completely enjoyed it, he is a wonderful writer, very pleasing to read, I finished it in a week (of course that's not a great achievement since the book is not very long :blush: )

I recently started reading Till We Have Faces, and it is fastly approaching at being my favorite. It still has this great virtuosity with words and fast reading, andthe story is captivating. I hope to be able to read The Four Loves soon (I'm a recent fan of C.S. Lewis :pleased: )
NescaPoulita
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » 16 Jul 2008, 21:43

NescaPoulita wrote:I didn't see The Screwtape Letters in there... This was the first C.S. Lewis book I read and I completely enjoyed it, he is a wonderful writer, very pleasing to read, I finished it in a week (of course that's not a great achievement since the book is not very long :blush: )

I recently started reading Till We Have Faces, and it is fastly approaching at being my favorite. It still has this great virtuosity with words and fast reading, andthe story is captivating. I hope to be able to read The Four Loves soon (I'm a recent fan of C.S. Lewis :pleased: )
Screwtape is there.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Re: What was Lewis's best book?

Postby LittleFlower » 01 Sep 2009, 08:42

my favourite is probably Till We Have Faces :)
LittleFlower

Postby Mornche Geddick » 04 Oct 2009, 16:21

What about The Discarded Image?
Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby maralewisfan » 14 Oct 2009, 17:12

For me Great Divorce is/was my favorite, although I keep all next to my bed and just pick up one and start reading when the insomnia kicks up. I can read CS Lewis over and over. I also like TWHF and Screwtape. :read:
maralewisfan

Postby JDMalament » 12 May 2010, 22:42

The Abolition of Man is probably my favorite non-fiction book by Lewis. I think, in some ways, most (if not all) his other works can find their foundations in that book. As for fiction, that would be a tough choice. I suppose if I were pressed to choose, I would say Till We Have Faces. It is a multi-layered book that I always gain new insights about whenever I re-read it.

- Jared
Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » 14 May 2010, 17:41

JDMalament wrote:The Abolition of Man is probably my favorite non-fiction book by Lewis. I think, in some ways, most (if not all) his other works can find their foundations in that book. As for fiction, that would be a tough choice. I suppose if I were pressed to choose, I would say Till We Have Faces. It is a multi-layered book that I always gain new insights about whenever I re-read it.

- Jared
I agree the Abolition of Man is Lewis's best book overall. I think The Great Divorce is the best in fiction.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis