This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What was Lewis's best book?

The man. The myth.

12%
4%
No votes
8%
3%
1%
7%
3%
21%
13%
8%
3%
12%
3%
2%
No votes
No votes
No votes
2%

Total votes : 119

Re: re: What was Lewis's best book?

Postby Josh » March 20th, 2006, 4:50 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

re: What was Lewis's best book?

Postby David » March 20th, 2006, 7:09 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 20th, 2006, 7:19 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » March 20th, 2006, 11:32 pm

I most certianly like to know as much as I can about an author before I read their book (Or read it then study the author and read it again). It adds a particular depth and richness to the reading. The same is true of listening to music (it's the approach generally taken in traditional music appreciation). In fact, the only time I enjoy a football game (unless it's one of those rip-your-soul-out sudden death playoff thingies) is if I have insight into the personal lives and psychology of the players. Well, whataya expect? I'm a psychologist.

As for the question presented in the forum, there are actually two questions - one presented at the heading and one in the poll - and the answers could be different. If I had to say, I would choose TWHF as the best - although it's not my favorite.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 20th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I would have voted for LWW, but Screwtape Letters really change the way I look at life, so I vote for Screwtape. LWW is a very close second though with VDT after that.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » March 21st, 2006, 12:55 am

I went for 'Screwtape' as well, but on another day I might easily have voted differently. Other favourites among the 'grown up' books are 'Surprised by Joy' 'A Grief Observed' and 'The Great Divorce' (I seem to be drawn to the more personal ones.) Narnia-wise I love them all, but LWW has always been no.1.
Once I finally read 'Paradise Lost', then Lewis' 'Preface' that'll probably rank highly too.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » March 21st, 2006, 1:06 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » March 21st, 2006, 2:05 am

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 21st, 2006, 11:26 am

Yay, another TWHF fan :D
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » March 21st, 2006, 11:38 pm

I strongly agree that Till We Have Faces is the best. I believe Lewis himself even considered it his best. It's so strange and fascinating, with so much theology brilliantly and subtly woven through the whole the thing. It took me three readings to feel like I really understood it, but once I did, I was amazed.
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 22nd, 2006, 3:59 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Cymru » March 31st, 2006, 7:55 pm

I can't believe I voted this way - or rather, I should say that I wouldn't have believed I would vote this way after reading Til We Have Faces for the first time last year. But this is precisely why I chose it.

It has revealed itself to me over and over again since I first touched it that it never ceases to amaze me. What Lewis did here is unbelievable. The layers never seem to stop peeling away. It is a masterpiece.

It is very hard though, I must say, to compare his fiction works with his non-fiction works. They are entirely different. I suppose though, that I feel this fictional piece so finely wove his own beliefs into it, that it is the supreme choice. That is far more complicated than "laying it on the line" in a non-fiction work.

I think TWHF is the culmination of all that C.S. Lewis was to the literary and theological community.
Cymru
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » March 31st, 2006, 9:06 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Re: What was Lewis's best book?

Postby a_hnau » June 19th, 2006, 8:18 pm

a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » June 29th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Lion, Withch and Wardrobe. Just becuase I can relate to it.
Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

Member of The 2456317 Club
King Edmund
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis