This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Brutal English public schools

The man. The myth.

Brutal English public schools

Postby jo » March 21st, 2006, 5:32 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

re: Brutal English public schools

Postby Leslie » March 21st, 2006, 5:52 pm

My impression is that it's only within the last 50-75 years that Western society has begun treating its children with respect for their needs and development. I'm thinking of things like the medieval practice of swaddling infants and hanging them on the wall, and not letting them move about on their own until they were about two years old.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 21st, 2006, 5:53 pm

Swaddling went out at the end of the 18th century didn't it? It certainly wasn't a pleasant practice though.

We did treat children really quite brutally until a couple of generations ago I think. Some people would say that we've gone too far to the other extreme and there's probably something in that, but rather our system than the one Lewis endured.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » March 21st, 2006, 6:36 pm

Lewis' recollections of his public school years remind me a little of George Orwell's autobiographical essay , describing his own ghastly school days. It's well worth reading, though more than a bit depressing.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 21st, 2006, 6:44 pm

Sounds familiar .. i skipped through it as it was rather long but it sounded like every other recollection of English public schools I've ever heard :(.

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » March 21st, 2006, 11:27 pm

In some defense of Lewis's father, he did genuinely believe that he was sending his boys to a good school. It had had a good reputation for some time, but unfortunately the actual state of the school deteriorated much faster than it's good name. For some time, Albert Lewis thought that his sons' complaints were nothing more than typical school-boy dislike of classes. Only after he finally had Jack removed was the headmaster committed to an asylum.

I agree, though, that the whole process of sending children away from home, sometimes at such a young age (Lewis was sent away before he was quite ten years old), does seem rather difficult to understand.
Esther
Wardrobian

Re: re: Brutal English public schools

Postby Leslie » March 22nd, 2006, 2:21 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » March 22nd, 2006, 4:57 am

Leis explained how people hoped to teach their boys to be come men in Surprised by Joy. He said that the "fagging" system was to teach respect for and submission to authority (in a way he had never seen a mature person behave). In other words, it was one of those irrational things that people did back then. Certainly there were worse things. Go back a few years from Lewis' time and you have the child labor of the industrial age.

Grade school for me was only different by degree and that I had a home to escape to. When I was in school, I was a "wimp" and I was picked on without mercy. Since I didn't care for sports and knew more than the coaches (I was rather precocious - heh), they looked the other way ("boys will be boys").

And, of course, bullying is a big issue on talk shows and TV news "magazines".

But you see the same kind of things in child abuse cases. Otherwise "good" parents and other adults do't believe children when they tell them that someone is hurting them - so they don't tell. Or believing them puts important adult ayers in inconvenient tuations, so they choose not to believe.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 22nd, 2006, 11:18 am

The thing is that it wasn't considered child abuse back then - parents fully expected their sons to be subjected to this sort of treatment..

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » March 22nd, 2006, 10:56 pm

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Pindar » March 30th, 2006, 10:48 am

Pindar
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 30th, 2006, 3:20 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » March 30th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » April 4th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby wisewoman » April 11th, 2006, 12:19 pm

I imagine they will. We've pretty much said that about every civilization before us. What makes us exempt?

The interesting thing would be which perspective they view us from. Just using the example of the treatment of children, will people continue to grow gentler towards children or will we swing in the opposite direction again? Same could probably apply for the position of women...
She hoped to be wise and reasonable in time; but alas! alas! she must confess to herself that she was not wise yet. ~ Jane Austen, Persuasion
wisewoman
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis