This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The letters

The man. The myth.

The letters

Postby Robert » August 18th, 2004, 1:43 pm

I was browsing the local Christian bookstore yesterday and saw a compilation of Lewis' letters. It is supposedly ALL of Lewis' letters to various individuals. I am assuming they are only a selection of the most significant series of correspondences. Is anyone else familiar with this voluminous work, evidently in a number of volumes?
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Re: The letters

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2004, 4:23 pm

There have been two of a projected three volumes of his letters published, and both are wonderful reads. Or rather, the first is a wonderful read and the second is also proving to be, as I am only half way through it.
The letters give excellent insights (in a somewhat voyeuristic way, however) into his character.
If you do buy the book, allow lots of time when you pick it up to read it - I am realising night after night that it's much later (or earlier!) than I thought when I finally put volum two down...

Postby Robert » August 19th, 2004, 1:18 pm

Yes, I noticed it was volume II that I saw, which made me wonder how many of Lewis' ideas and thoughts may have been expressed in them that one may not find anywhere else. I was stunned at the size of the book. It looked like it must be at least 800 pages or something. And that was only volume II, assuming volume I is as thick. There have been alot of books I am interested in purchasing (not just your average used paperback book, but a good sized book) and this series looks like a must have for me.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2004, 7:25 pm

I think your assumption is right. I don't believe the Complete Letters are actually that. That aside, both volumes are a wonderful read. Some of the letters say not much about Lewis (other than he was a very kind man, for example, the post WWII letters where he is simply thanking someone for sending food) but the interesting ones are really good to read for, as Lynn says, the insights into CSL's character that they offer.

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2004, 9:18 am

Robert, do try to read both volumes if you can - and yes, the first volume is as "voluminous" as the second! What is really interesting is to see his development as a man and a Christian from his early years through to later middle age.
I can't wait for the final volume!

Return to C. S. Lewis