This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis' Digestion

The man. The myth.

re: Lewis' Digestion

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 22nd, 2006, 3:20 pm

Being at the disadvantage of not reading the article on the day it was written, I found myself gaping at the incredibly unwarranted conclusions the author was drawing. Not at first intending to read the replies, I might have gone off into a rant, but I did read the replies after all, and saw that it was intended as an April Fools Day article. And then the satisfied smiles crossed my face:-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby David » July 22nd, 2006, 11:27 pm

I think digestion was just a common analogy of his day. I read Dr. Zhivago a few years back and remember his saying that the ability to write poetry was something everyone should have, like good eyesight and good digestion. So I don't know if Lewis's mention of it has much to do with his own dyspepsia or lack of it.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis' Digestion

Postby Theo » July 23rd, 2006, 12:55 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » July 24th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » July 24th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Hey! I describe things as beastly!
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 25th, 2006, 2:32 am

...and I say, "By Jove" all the time! :wink:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » July 25th, 2006, 9:16 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » July 25th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Isn't that just because you've read too much C. S. Lewis? :tongue:
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » July 25th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Probably...

I only say things like git, torch, and jumper (in place of sweater) because I started hanging around [online] with so many people from England.
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis