This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

How much did Lewis drink?

The man. The myth.

re: How much did Lewis drink?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 2nd, 2006, 12:25 pm

We have great beer and wine in Australia!

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » May 2nd, 2006, 1:11 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby kevinshowe » May 2nd, 2006, 2:21 pm

kevinshowe
Wardrobian

Postby jo » May 2nd, 2006, 3:26 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby kevinshowe » May 2nd, 2006, 5:28 pm

Nobody said she was anti-Christian, but the caricature is. Puritanical may be used in that way, but not puritan. At any rate, even puritanical is incorrect. Lewis himself said the Puritans weren't angry about beer but about bishops. :)
kevinshowe
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » May 2nd, 2006, 5:35 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Re: re: How much did Lewis drink?

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 2nd, 2006, 6:32 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 10th, 2006, 12:04 am

Well, gang, on this forum or another one we talked about what "bitter" was. Ransom asks for a pint of bitter at the end of Out of the Silent Planet. Foster's Beer, an Australian beer sold in the USA--and probably lots of other palces--put out cans of bitter this week in a special issue.

Someone--Jo or maybe Linda--said it was hideous and watery. And you were EXACTLY RIGHT. It's the most insipid, foul-tasting stuff that ever offended my tongue. I will drink some more of it, pour the rest down the sink, and go have a good glass of Pale Ale.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby jo » May 27th, 2006, 11:25 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 27th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Jo!!!! You're back!!!!! :grin: :grin:

Must have been the thoughts I was having earlier about holding a virtual party, and realised I couldn't do it without you!
carol
Wardrobian

Postby jo » May 27th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Tentatively back :) We'll see.

But I am having a virtual fancy dress party on the Lounge"!

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » May 28th, 2006, 7:33 pm

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 28th, 2006, 10:20 pm

C. S. Lewis once remarked, "Abstain from alcohol! We are Chrsitians, not Mohammedans!" I wish I knew the source of the quote but I can't recall it.

But as for Muslims--there's a great scene in The Thirteenth Warrior where a Muslim is about to be accepted into the Viking Community. But to be admitted he must take a drink. He informs the Viking leader that The Prophet forbid drinking of liquor made from the grape or from grain. The Viking starts laughing his head off and finally says, "Honey!" Mead is made from fermented honey and so I suppose Muslims could drink that.

Mead, by the way, is delicious, but expensive.
David
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 28th, 2006, 10:57 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby David » May 28th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Probably a lot of people on this list have seen this, but this cartoon is "Gin Lane," by English cartoonist and painter William Hogarth. It laments the plight of the poor who got drunk off gin.

Notice the woman so drunk she doesn't notice her baby is falling out of her arms, the man dead of starvation. People are pawning their clothes and cooking pots to buy gin. The only other propsperous business is the coffin shop. Notice the two little girls drinking gin. Also the man taking a bone from a dog.

Gin is made from pine berries. These have no food value (like the grain or grapes necessary to make other alcoholic beverages) so it could be produced cheeply and sold to the poor.

There as a contrasting cartoon called "Beer Lane." The prosperous middle-class people drank beer.
David
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis