This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

How much did Lewis drink?

The man. The myth.

How much did Lewis drink?

Postby jo » April 25th, 2006, 4:23 pm

In the essay that Theo linked to in a couple of places on here, it mentioned that Warnie Lewis said that Lewis considered only having three pints at lunchtime as 'going short.' Did he do that every day ?Three pints is quite a lot of alcohol to consume on a daily basis, and he might have drunk in the evenings as well. Please note that I am certainly not trying to imply that he had an alcohol problem but it would be interesting to know how much he actually did consume.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: How much did Lewis drink?

Postby Monica » April 27th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

re: How much did Lewis drink?

Postby Theo » April 27th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » April 27th, 2006, 1:52 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 27th, 2006, 2:38 pm

That might be true of cigarettes but I am pretty sure that, given that alcohol had been round for thousands of years, the negative effects of it were well known ;).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » April 27th, 2006, 2:58 pm

but were they always considered negative?

wait... i retract that statement... the bible does recommend to stay away from things like alcohol (reference?).

regardless, drinking isn't a sin, and i think that we can assume that a thinker like jack had enough control over himself, and was focused on God enough, to not succumb to the more negative things that beer can produce...

side-track from the question there...

google search anyone?
soul101
Wardrobian

Re: re: How much did Lewis drink?

Postby Theo » April 27th, 2006, 3:13 pm

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 27th, 2006, 4:20 pm

I think the bible just says don't overdo it . Jesus did drink alcohol, of course, so it's hard to make a case for teetotalism based on biblical teachings.

jo
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » April 27th, 2006, 5:10 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 27th, 2006, 5:22 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Marcus_P_Hagen » April 27th, 2006, 11:55 pm

Marcus_P_Hagen
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 28th, 2006, 11:24 am

I would have thought that being such a big man, he could handle a few pints of ordinary beer without difficulty.
It was part of the culture to drink beer, as much as it is part of many people's today to buy plastic bottles of water. [a future generation will scoff at the folly of importing water instead of using one's own, especially in my city where the water is possibly the best in the world!!]

But I don't think Jack drank to excess.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 28th, 2006, 4:34 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 28th, 2006, 4:49 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 28th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Theo
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis