This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis' Journey From Christianity to Atheism and Back

The man. The myth.

re: Lewis' Journey From Christianity to Atheism and Back

Postby carol » June 15th, 2006, 11:15 am

[quote=Ward]At the age of 17, Lewis expressed his agnosticism in a letter sent in response to an inquiry of his beliefs, so Lewis's claim to being an atheist almost certainly occurred earlier.[/quote]

If Lewis expressed agnosticism at 17, this is not evidence of his being an atheist earlier. The two are different points of "belief", although they are frequently confused by the average person. Agnosticism is not knowing what one believes, rather than not believing in anything. Atheism is knowing that one does not believe in God.

One can be an agnostic on one's way from faith to atheism. I would suspect this was the case for Lewis, based on the several biographies I have read, (plus Surprised by Joy).
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Ward » June 15th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Ward
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 15th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Solomons Song » June 17th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I realize it is a little too late, but this has videos that is fairly accurate in how it Chronicles Lewis' life and his conversion.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis