This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis, Tolkien, and horses

The man. The myth.

re: Lewis, Tolkien, and horses

Postby A#minor » July 2nd, 2006, 7:03 pm

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel ( or maybe it was the History Channel) about DaVinci's Horse. Amazing story. :stunned:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Assistant Village Idiot » July 7th, 2006, 2:30 am

Theo is correct and illuminating. The coastal languages of NW Europe were Celtic or Germanic, with minor exceptions, and the Germanic ones had a good deal of similarity. English does not act like a good well-behaved Germanic language in many ways, but OE did.

With Lewis and more especially Tolkien, I don't think that any element traces back to one thing only. They bring them up from their bones, and thus rely on many elements. Horses have a special status in many cultures worldwide, including England. The Indo-Europeans were horsemen with wheeled carts, which is believed to be their advantage over the other peoples north of the Mediterranean which allowed them to take over much of west and central Eurasia and become Our Ancestors.

Horses figure prominently in much of the heroic literature those Inklings spent their lives immersed in.

As to the Rohirrim, their language is technically not Anglo-Saxon, but is represented by Anglo-Saxon (see Appendix A). Tolkien had invented another language for them, but used Old English to give us the flavor but not the sound of their speech.
Assistant Village Idiot

Re: re: Lewis, Tolkien, and horses

Postby Robyn » July 13th, 2006, 11:11 am

[quote="Monica"][quote="David"]I think he thought horses were beautiful.[/quote]

I think so too.[/quote]

I totaly agree!!!
Cause I think Horses are one of the most beautiful and elegant animals on the planet....
Well I say tha 'Cause I'm a horse Fanatic!!!! :blush:

My regards,
RTM (Robyn)
Bookworm... :read:
Robyn
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » July 23rd, 2006, 1:58 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » July 24th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby David » July 24th, 2006, 8:39 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby David » July 24th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Here the Marcus Aurelius sculpture. The copied the general design for the horse from it, I've read. It's not near the size of DaVinci's, though:

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis