This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis on Church and State

The man. The myth.

Lewis on Church and State

Postby nomad » September 18th, 2006, 4:55 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

re: Lewis on Church and State

Postby Jservic2 » September 20th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 21st, 2006, 1:23 am

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis on Church and State

Postby Sarah N. » September 21st, 2006, 2:43 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » September 21st, 2006, 5:54 am

"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis on Church and State

Postby rusmeister » September 21st, 2006, 11:11 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 23rd, 2006, 2:04 am

Well, the quote above would indicate that he was against any religious participation required by a government entity. It doesn't say what he thought about religion sponsored by the government but with voluntary participation, nor what he thought about how one's faith should affect the political behaviour of either politicians or voters. I seem to remember reading something where he talked about that last point, but I don't recall where or exactly what he said. I still have to find "Lillies".
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » September 25th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » September 30th, 2006, 5:28 am

nomad
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis