This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

An ironic comment from young Jack

The man. The myth.

An ironic comment from young Jack

Postby Steve » October 7th, 2006, 7:26 am

Jack complains he finds it hard to write letters, times when he wants a break from study would be perfect to chat with a friend but he isn't at all in the mood to write a letter. Then he says "I often wonder how the born letter writers whose 'works' fill volumes overcame this difficulty."

He was already doing pretty well, given that this occurs on page 518 of the Collected Letters of CS Lewis, which will eventually be three volumes.
Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

re: An ironic comment from young Jack

Postby A#minor » October 7th, 2006, 2:19 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » October 10th, 2006, 6:38 am

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » October 10th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Steve, I was recently chuckling at another ironic Lewis line from a letter to Arthur Greeves:

You know, I think, that I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint, Christianity is not even the best.
Monica
Wardrobian

And here, young Jack takes on Walter Hooper

Postby Steve » October 11th, 2006, 6:19 am

Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

Re: re: An ironic comment from young Jack

Postby carol » October 14th, 2006, 7:30 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 14th, 2006, 3:38 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 14th, 2006, 6:23 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pindar » October 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

Pindar
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 24th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » October 24th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 27th, 2006, 8:50 pm

But Hooper would only have sent emails for about a month. That was as long as he knew Jack.

Oh, you mean if Jack had lived for another 40 years?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » October 28th, 2006, 2:57 am

I think he would probably grumble about it (I know I do), but he was a professor at Oxford. I've checked, and all of them have e-mail now even auxiliary professors. The University needs a way to communicate with them and so do their students. Today that means e-mail. So I think he would have to use it, but I do doubt he would like it - far too modern.

But then...this forum is a very modern sort of thing, and I like it despite my vitriolic condemnation of all things modern. So maybe Jack would too.
Media vita in morte sumus.

"Love loves unto purity...it strives for perfection, even that itself may be perfected - not in itself, but in the object...Therefore all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire...that only that which cannot be consumed may stand forth eternal." - George MacDonald
Inariae
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 17th, 2006, 11:31 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby arthur111 » November 20th, 2006, 10:53 pm

arthur111
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis