This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Any questions?

The man. The myth.

Any questions?

Postby Leslie » September 14th, 2004, 1:05 am

On Sept 17, I will be hearing a talk given by Prof. Ralph Wood of Baylor University about the friendship of Lewis and Tolkien. (Is anyone familiar with Prof. Wood's work? I've never heard of him before.) I will take notes and relay any interesting information here.

Does anybody have any questions that they would like me to ask?
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: Any questions?

Postby a_hnau » September 15th, 2004, 10:02 am

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2004, 5:29 pm

Postby Leslie » September 17th, 2004, 2:17 am

Hi - I've read that Tolkien didn't like the fact that Lewis wrote popular theology as an amateur - he apparently thought that it was better left to professionals. This may have been part of his dislike of Letters to Malcolm.

Colin Duriez, in The Gift of Friendship, makes quite a plausible case for Williams causing a rift between Tolkien and Lewis. Tolkien did not altogether like Williams' work, or his interest in the occult, and apparently disapproved of Lewis being under Williams' "spell" too much - he may even have been jealous of Lewis's fascination with Williams, although Tolkien considered himself a friend of Williams.

It seems that Lewis and Tolkien's friendship had cooled before Joy Gresham moved to England, so his marriage may not have been a major factor in the rift.

The more I read about him, the more I get the impression that Tolkien may have been a difficult man to get along with.

I will certainly ask about these matters, if Prof. Wood doesn't address it in his main talk.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis