This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C. S. Lewis's reading

The man. The myth.

C. S. Lewis's reading

Postby throughlkglass » October 26th, 2006, 6:54 pm

throughlkglass
Wardrobian

Re: C. S. Lewis's reading

Postby Janet » October 26th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 26th, 2006, 10:24 pm

I remember a reference, I think in an essay in First and Second Things, to something he had read in Time and Tide, an English journal no longer published.

I think his letters would be the best source of information about his reading. From what I can recall of those I have read, he discusses his reading with several of his correspondents.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » October 27th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » October 27th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » October 27th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 28th, 2006, 2:19 am

Thanks Monica. I recall Lewis' mentioning several of those at some point or other in what I've read of him so far. That's great info.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » October 28th, 2006, 2:40 am

Have you even found Idea of the Holy, Monica? I've looked for it in every used and mainstream bookstore I've walked into in the last year. So far I've had to read it on the internet, but I would like a copy of my own.
Media vita in morte sumus.

"Love loves unto purity...it strives for perfection, even that itself may be perfected - not in itself, but in the object...Therefore all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire...that only that which cannot be consumed may stand forth eternal." - George MacDonald
Inariae
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » October 28th, 2006, 9:13 am

It is in print and available, Inariae. Amazon has it . They even have used copies for under $5. If you're uncomfortable with buying online, just go to your local bookstore and ask them to order ISBN 0195002105 for you.

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby mgton » October 28th, 2006, 8:41 pm

mgton
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » October 30th, 2006, 2:37 am

Thanks, Sven!

Jack enjoyed the Greek and Roman epics. I think he also liked Milton, Dryden, Spencer, Jane Austen, Thomas Mallory, Tolstoy, Dante, Chaucer, shakespeare, Colridge, Ovid, Lucretius, Lawrence, Herbert, Traherne...it could go on much longer. Plato and Aristotle of course (this isn't all fiction). Also Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the Elder Edda, the Kalevala.

Might I also suggest An Experiment in Criticism by Lewis himself. An excellent treatise on the way in which literature ought to be read.
Media vita in morte sumus.

"Love loves unto purity...it strives for perfection, even that itself may be perfected - not in itself, but in the object...Therefore all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire...that only that which cannot be consumed may stand forth eternal." - George MacDonald
Inariae
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » October 30th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Does anyone know if Lewis appreciated the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels?
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby mgton » October 30th, 2006, 5:38 pm

mgton
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 30th, 2006, 5:43 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » October 30th, 2006, 8:06 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis