This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

An Evening with Jack

The man. The myth.

An Evening with Jack

Postby Breka » November 19th, 2006, 1:12 am

My college just had performance by an actor (Tom Key was his name...I think) called 'An Evening with C.S. Lewis' in which he is Jack and basically gives the story of his life, intertwining parts of various writings into it. It was cleverly done, with a lot of poetry (which made me happy, since so few people seem to know that Lewis wrote some excellent poems). I didn't care for his portrayal entirely - he came off at times as harsh or unapproachable, not the traits I would assign to him, or raised his voice and sped up in the parts of writings or poetry where I would have lowered my voice. But writing is open to interpretation (and never having had any formal training in acting, I'm hardly a good theater critic...). It was a fun evening, though, and made me wish I could really spend an evening with Lewis. Let's see....what would I want to talk to him about? Oh yes, everything....

-Breka
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Breka
Wardrobian

Postby jo » November 20th, 2006, 7:57 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » November 25th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Was what you witnessed similar to ?
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Breka » November 26th, 2006, 11:15 pm

The clip wasn't loading very well, so I couldn't really watch it, but yes, it looked similar. Did you see that one? Here's info on the guy I saw performing:
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Breka
Wardrobian

Postby David » November 26th, 2006, 11:26 pm

I saw him do Lewis's talk on Renaissance literature at St. Mary's Church in Cambridge. He had it memorized. I was impressed. He is a good actor and sympathetic to Lewis. Cambridge is a nice place, by the way, though I liked Oxford better. Cambridge University is too spread out, the Oxford colleges are all together in one cluster. Both places have their own particular charms though. Great to think Lewis taught at Britain's two most famous universities.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » November 28th, 2006, 3:10 am

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 2nd, 2006, 11:22 am

carol
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis