This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S.Lewis and the Catholic Church, by Joseph Pearce

The man. The myth.

Postby ijohn_patmos » January 22nd, 2007, 11:59 pm

ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 23rd, 2007, 1:29 am

Yes John, you are. Personally, after Jesus, C.S. Lewis is the person I most want to meet in heaven. The reasons being:

His infallible conciseness on points of doctrine. He never claimed to be a biblical scholar and never pretended to be one. But he did view the Bible in a literal sense, and he allowed God's Word to be alive in him; to be active in his imagination and his life.

His way with words. Keith Miller's "In the Habitation of Dragons" was the first book I read upon becoming a believer. "Mere Christianity" was the second. And then on and on with Lewis. Keith showed me, in that book, that all was not perfect with being a Christian (as opposed to what many in the Church would have us think). He was honest. And I saw, in a greater and more personal depth, that honesty in Lewis' books. For me, that is of great importance; an honesty that will reveal itself, even knowing the possibility of rejection and/or judgment.

Most especially, "Mere Christianity" and "A Grief Observed". Those two works made him real to me and made God real to me.
How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 23rd, 2007, 6:47 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby ijohn_patmos » January 23rd, 2007, 9:04 am

ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 24th, 2007, 3:07 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 25th, 2007, 12:19 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby ijohn_patmos » January 25th, 2007, 12:56 am

ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 25th, 2007, 8:29 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby ijohn_patmos » January 25th, 2007, 9:29 am

ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 25th, 2007, 2:13 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 26th, 2007, 6:08 am

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 27th, 2007, 12:25 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 27th, 2007, 11:54 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 27th, 2007, 6:10 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby ijohn_patmos » January 30th, 2007, 5:57 am

ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis