This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

One thing I've learned from CS Lewis

The man. The myth.

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Postby A#minor » February 26th, 2007, 11:26 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby ancientdogma » June 7th, 2007, 7:03 am

ancientdogma
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » June 8th, 2007, 8:54 pm

there are so many things....but as a writer, one really important thing I've learned from Lewis is simply this: write clearly.
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 8th, 2007, 9:01 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » June 8th, 2007, 9:24 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby EverLearner » June 9th, 2007, 10:15 pm

So hard to pick just one, but the truth that our Savior is not tame or safe, but that He's good is one that has stuck with me since I first read those words as a 10 year old.

Shaunie

EverLearner

Postby larry gilman » June 13th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Ah, one thing? Not the Most Important Thing or any such, but one thing that I definitely learned from Lewis? Here's one from the book that was I think his own second favorite after Perelandra, namely The Abolition of Man:

There is no way to derive values from logic. Philosophies that deny the existence of moral absolutes (which is not the same thing, by the way, as saying that our moral perceptions are perfect or complete) must either (a) be inconsistent, (b) imply the denial of any and all morality whatsoever, (c) embrace an avowedly arbitrary code.

This insight is of continual use to me. Pragmatists, evangelical atheists, etc. who condemn the idea of transcendent or absolute morality as noxious are really saying that some moralities are better than others---which of course implies an overarching moral standard (such as species survival) by which to judge moral codes, i.e., an absolute morality. So either one admits an absolute morality at some level, or abandons the possibility of interpersonal moral appeal.

Amazingly, some of the hardcore neo-atheist philosophers have actually got to option (c) above, explicitly defending a moral code acknowledge to be arbitrary. Daniel Dennett, for example, while arguing that morality is arbitrary, insists that "We are not going to tolerate infanticide." Why not? Because we mustn't. And how will we stick absolutely to things that we believe are not absolute? "We can defend a deep resistance to mucking with the boundaries," Dennett says: "We could have a rational policy not even to think about certain things." So a philosopher who scorns religious believers for their blind faith ends up advocating a pure fideism or arbitrarism: we must "not even . . . think about certain things." Pure lunacy, of course, and it doesn't have a snowflake's chance of Hell of surviving in the real world.

(The quotes from Dennett above are from a well-written Wired article on the new atheists: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html )

Lewis exposed it all long ago, masterfully. There are at least a couple of schmutzels that even I will never step in. Thank you, Jack.

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Live in the moment

Postby friendofaslan » June 17th, 2007, 3:04 am

Lewis has taught me so much--and continues teaching me anew no matter how many times I read his works.

But, the most valuable lesson he has taught me is that only in this moment do we touch eternity.

In Screwtape Letters, he cautions us not to sacrifice all the joys and grace of today to the altars of tomorrow or yesterday.

Live now. This moment.
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby darinka » June 20th, 2007, 2:36 am

darinka
Wardrobian

Postby Charis » June 26th, 2007, 3:07 pm

It's beyond me to limit it to one but this stands out: that the 'supernatural' is very likely.

Nothing is more probable. :wink:
Charis
Wardrobian

Postby Yattara » June 26th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Yattara
Wardrobian

One thing I've learned from CS Lewis

Postby Tuke » July 10th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Last edited by Tuke on August 4th, 2007, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuke
Wardrobian

What I have learned from CS Lewis

Postby daddypipes » August 1st, 2007, 6:04 am

daddypipes

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis