This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Screwtape for Lent

The man. The myth.

Screwtape for Lent

Postby Bnayqyama » February 18th, 2007, 6:38 am

"Self-knowledge is the descent into hell." ~ J.G. Hamann

I am not sure where I first encountered the idea of reading Screwtape for Lent, but my guess is that it was Paul Ford.

Much of Screwtape seems dated to me, however, its understanding of the peaks and valleys of spiritual growth, the problems of prayer, and one's perception of other Christians in the pews cohere with my experience.

The spiritual laws in Screwtape (e.g., undulation) are right on. Moreover, although I have not decided whether a personal devil is real for me, Screwtape's strategies of temptation and the undermining of emerging faith haunt me each Lent.

Are there others who read Screwtape for Lent? What do you find in it that reflects the ups-and-downs of your innermost life? What challenges you, or helps you recognize and clarify?
Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 18th, 2007, 9:46 am

I like the idea of reading it for Lent. Is it something you would do each year, or only once?

I re-read it last May, and can recall at least one of the items being rather a virtual elbow dig in the ribs for me. Jack Lewis has the uncomfortable talent of allowing us to sit back and laugh at the foibles of our neighbours, and then when we are off our guard, to turn and point at our own. Ouch! But very good for the soul.
Best wishes in your read.
carol
Wardrobian

Screwtape for Lent (cont.)

Postby Bnayqyama » February 19th, 2007, 5:32 am

Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis