This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Problem with Collected Letters III

The man. The myth.

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 25th, 2007, 1:36 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 25th, 2007, 4:56 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 27th, 2007, 3:38 am

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 27th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Last edited by larry gilman on July 27th, 2007, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 27th, 2007, 7:24 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 27th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Last edited by larry gilman on July 29th, 2007, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 27th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Last edited by moordarjeeling on July 29th, 2007, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 27th, 2007, 9:03 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 27th, 2007, 11:09 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » July 29th, 2007, 5:15 pm

Hi y'all,

I'm bowing out of this discussion for now. It is making me feel grumpy and uncharitable and a wee bit crazy. Stanley, you've been an honorable discussant---you actually have bothered to read the texts we are talking about---but you read things so differently from I, find such radically different opportunities for interpretation even in what seem to me the most straightforward phrases, that we end up at cross purposes. I think you are force-reading the most matter-of-fact sentences as if they metaphysical love lyrics, whenever that approach lets Hooper off an obvious hook, and you think (I think) that I am sticking to the literal word like a Hooper-hating fundamentalist even where a looser reading is the only commonsense approach. Where the facts are agreed-upon---e.g., the issuance of a Screwtape edition in which some of Lewis's words have been altered by Hooper---I see outrageous editorial presumption and you see little or nothing to be upset about. What can be done, short of perilous and expensive brain surgery, to change either of our minds?

I read somewhere that in ancient times the elders of Bulgaria, or some such place, used to debate every important question twice---once sober, once drunk---before making a final decision. In that spirit, I keep wishing that we could do hammer this stuff out in a pub instead of online. The typed word is an inherently inflammatory medium, I think. We would at least have more fun. For now, this has ceased to be fun.

If a personal reply to a particular question is desired, by all means drop me a personal message on my Wardrobe account. I am, however, stopping notification of reply posting on this thread.

Regards,

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 29th, 2007, 11:51 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 30th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » August 2nd, 2007, 1:10 am

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis