This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Problem with Collected Letters III

The man. The myth.

Postby larry gilman » March 20th, 2007, 9:55 pm

Esther,

Yes, I mean simply that Hooper should have described matter-of-factly the existence of the charges made against him by Warren and Lindskoog, and directed the reader to the works in which those charges can be read (Warren's journal, Lindskoog's books). It would not have been appropriate to launch into a full-scale apologia in the back matter of Letters III, so it is good that he did not do that!

Sincerely,

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 12:20 am

From Owen Barfield’s letter to the journal Christianity and Literature 29:2 (19179) pp. 9-10, referring to Kathryn Lindskoog's article"Some Problems in C. S. Lewis Scholarship."

“… The two executors appointed by C. S. Lewis under his will were myself and Alfred Cecil Harwood. After the administration of his estate had been completed (subject only to the life-interest of his brother, Major W. H. Lewis) we ceased, by law, to be executors and became trustees of the estate … Shortly afterwards, at my suggestion and with the approval of the life-tenant (Major Lewis), we appointed Walter Hooper, who had for some time been rendering invaluable assistance in an unofficial capacity, to be an additional trustee. In doing so we had in mind that both his enthusiasm and his proven abilities rendered him especially fitted to carry much of the heavy editorial work which the administration of the literary estate involved. Since that time Walter Hooper has borne a responsibility for decisions in all matters relating to the estate neither more nor less than that of his co-trustees; or now (since Mr. Harwood died in 1975) of his co-trustee. We are jointly accountable for each one of them.

“…. The substance of the article is aimed point-blank at Walter Hooper himself, and he will no doubt make up his own mind whether it is worth his while to concern himself with the mass of inaccurate statements, ingenious speculations, and waspish innuendo of which it largely consists - - the latter including such offensive and probably libellous insinuations as, that he has deliberately misled the public regarding his academic and clerical qualifications and that he invented a fictitious bonfire to account for the disappearance of certain MSS!

“There are however one or two remarks I should wish to add. A large part of the article is devoted to Mrs. Lindskoog’s speculations concerning occurrences during the period between C. S. Lewis’s death in 1963 and that of Major Lewis in 1973, and to unfavourable conjectures touching the relations between the latter and Walter Hooper. While I feel no obligation to expose in detail the flimsiness of the evidence on which these conjectures are based (I suppose it might take another nineteen of your pages to do so), I desire to place on record: (1) that to describe them as wide of the mark would be a polite understatement; (2) that I was personally in touch with both men during that period; (3) that, among much else, I had the painful experience of watching Walter Hooper wear himself to the verge of breakdown in the excruciating and well-nigh impossible task of tending, and indeed nursing, Major Lewis during the earlier part of it; and (4) that it would be difficult to overstate the distaste with which I respond to your contributor’s idea of what constitutes Lewis scholarship.

“Owen Barfield”

Comment by Dale Nelson:

I don’t think Barfield’s letter holds up very well.

It doesn’t address Lindskoog’s evidence. It basically just wishes it away.

The letter implies that Barfield would be willing to get in there and do the work of defending Hooper except that to do so would be to take up too much space in the pages of the journal. This seems pretty obviously insincere. (Surely decisions about the allocation of the pages of the journal could have been left to its editors.) In any event, given that the Lewis estate has never, to my knowledge at least, sponsored the work of needed for an authoritatively examination of Lindskoog’s claims and their refutation, Barfield’s suggestion that taking pages of Christianity and Literature to do, so back at the time when those claims were first published, has turned out to be painfully ironic; for consider how many hundreds of additional pages have been written about the matter, with no doubt more to come.

The letter could be considered as bluffing and trying to intimidate - - here’s Barfield, a lawyer, saying “probably libellous” - - as if to warn people from involving themselves in the matter. Barfield alludes to a “mass of inaccurate statements” - - then leaves this “mass” on the public record, unanswered, putting on record instead fairly vague remarks about his being “in touch” with Hooper and Major Lewis, and his dislike of the article.

It’s because this letter is so unsatisfactory and because, unless I’ve missed or forgotten something, it was about all Barfield ever said about the matter, that I’ve ventured to suggest that Barfield sounds frightened, as if he’d been caught at not having quite fulfilled his lawyerly duties, and was embarrassed. Of course I'm not saying that he was embarrassed, let alone that he had done anything unwise. But he kind of sounds as if he were embarrassed.

I continue to have a lot of regard for Barfield (and for Hooper), as I have said; but I don’t think this situation brought out Barfield at his best.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 3:06 am

Since transcribing the above letter from Barfield, I have revisited Lindskoog's original article, to which Barfield's letter is a rejoinder.

Barfield's language about "waspish innuendo" and "offensive and probably libellous insinuations," etc. rather overreacts to the article. Barfield seems to me to mischaracterize Lindskoog's article when he refers as he does to conjectures and speculations; yes, such are there, but a great deal of the article is in the form of questions for which Lindskoog is asking clarification. Barfield shouldn't have been so threatened as he seems to be by questions - - which would not have required the additional "nineteen pages" of the journal to answer.

I would really urge anyone who is interested in this Lindskoog-Hooper business to go back to KL's original article, published almost ten years before The C. S. Lewis Hoax, and not including the scurrilous stuff she resorted to later. I suppose KL had hoped at last to force the issue, but of course what happened was that she made it easy for unfrinedly readers to insinuate that she was paranoid, etc.

Here's a guess about what's going to happen. One of these days someone with more impressive academic qualifications than KL's will take up the matter somewhere, though using her research, and he or she will succeed in forcing the issue. How, where, I don't know. But this thing is not going to go away.

I don't know what the upshot will be. I hope that the worst will trun out to be that Hooper was disingenuous about the length of time he knew Lewis and a few things like that, which will not be to his credit, but which will leave confidence in the integrity of the Lewis materials edited by him, with a firm basis.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 3:09 am

Here's the reference, folks: check it out if you can.

Lindskoog, Kathryn. "Some Problems in C. S. Lewis Scholarship." Christianity and Literature Summer 1978: 43-61.

The article appeared in the Dialogue section, which suggests it was intended to solicit helpful rejoinder.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 21st, 2007, 3:32 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 2:43 pm

Stanley, read KL's original article as published in Christianity and Literature. It is that article to which Barfield was replying, not the books that KL published years later.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » March 21st, 2007, 5:03 pm

Dale,

Thanks for doing the work of posting that material. Are you equipped to make scans? I would love to have PDFs or JPEGs of both Lindskoog's original piece and Barfield's reply for my files.

Stanley, I know that you have read Lindskoog's books, and I think I have agreed in the past that certain of your concerns about those books are valid. There are indeed occasions where she resorts to innuendo. But you have never been able to argue convincingly that her central doubts about Hooper are dependent on those innuendos: and so in my view the concern about the innuendos is a red herring. In fact, in past discussions, it has seemed to me that innuendo was fine, as long as it was against Lindskoog or her sources: "If [the Lewis’s gardener] Paxford really did burn some potentially valuable manuscripts," you asked me in 2000, "shouldn't we expect him to be a bit defensive of what really happened? There have been some questions about his reliability too." I never did find out exactly what those questions were, or who had asked them, or what evidence they are based on. Paxton has directly contradicted Hooper’s bonfire story in writing, so the point is significant.

Also, there seems to be an inability to confront certain facts head-on, such as that Hooper unambiguously described a bonfire consisting of papers, C.S. Lewis papers, which was kept burning steadily for three days (They Stand Together, p. 42; Dark Tower, p. 7), an obvious absurdity. "Was it really just a bunch of papers with no other fuel?" you asked in 2000. Yes---at least, that's precisely how Hooper described it. Either he was making it up or exaggerating to the point of fantasy. Neither is good news, given his position as the Lewis literary gatekeeper.

If Hooper is innocent of forgery---and he may well be, and I would be glad to see him vindicated of it---he has greatly muddied the water by his exaggerated or distorted anecdotes, which have given understandable toe-hold to the suspicions articulated by Lindskoog and others. Given the oddities in his writings and behaviors, it would be foolish to not ask the Lindskoogian questions---whatever the answers turn out to be. Not all grand juries return an indictment, but the ones that don't aren't necessarily wasting their time.

I am not a fanatic Lindskoog loyalist. I have always said that I am not so much convinced of the accuracy of her most serious charges as I am that they deserve serious investigation. Not all those questions, by the way, are about the Dark Tower manuscript.

So, Stanley, what about the fact that Fowler claimed to have seen a manuscript in 1952 or so that Roger Lancelyn Green [earlier misstated by mean as Hooper] stated in 1977 that he believed it hadn't been written until 1959, when he had extensive conversations with Lewis on the subject? How can Fowler’s testimony that he saw the Dark Tower manuscript in the early 50s be taken as dispositive of the Dark Tower controversy, when it contains such a dubious point?

Regards,

Larry
Last edited by larry gilman on March 21st, 2007, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 21st, 2007, 5:26 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 21st, 2007, 5:35 pm

(to Larry -- I would love to get to replies to your posts and look forward to doing so when I can, but I just spent more time than I ought on the previous post above, and things are busy-ing up here, so I'm hoping I can get to in a reasonable amount of time -- but it may be a bit. Just didn't want it thought I was ignoring your posts)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 5:37 pm

Stanley and Larry, you may email me at dale_nelson@mayvillestate.edu with your mailing addresses, and I will send you photocopies from my photocopies of the two items from Christianity and Literature in the interests of scholarship. This is probably copyright material that shouldn't be posted on the Internet without permission, or of which many photocopies may be made. To anyone else reading this message: if you would like copies of the articles, ask your library's interlibrary loan service, if the library does not have the material in its own collection.
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 5:46 pm

Stanley, I'd like to specify the two points I've most wanted to make.

1.Owen Barfield's letter seems intended to intimidate people who would like to pursue the questions KL's article raised. The letter ought to be evaluated in the context of KL's original article. I think it is possible that Barfield's tone might have prompted KL to feel that - - what has she got to lose after something like that? - - she might as well go ahead and try using innuendo.

2.The situation now is that the Lewis estate ought to fund an independent panel of scholars with good credentials as regards the authentication of literary materials. The panel should review the various posthumously-published and posthumously-edited texts and either vindicate them, and so prove future Lewis researchers with assurance that these texts may be used with confidence - - or it should (at least) indicate what ambiguities remain and what the reservations are with which scholars should use those texts.

I insist that there is nothing inappropriate in such a demand. I cannot see why asking for such examination when it comes to Lewis is somehow different than, I am confident, it would be if questions arose about the posthumously-published literary remains of George Orwell, Evelyn Waugh, Virginia Woolf, and other contemporaries of Lewis. Surely anyone who knows anything about scholarly work in literature knows that the first thing you have to do is work with a reliable text if that is obtainable. The only way that this doesn't matter,with respect to Lewis, is if he is not an author worthy of such concerns. Well, good grief! Does anyone think that?

It just will not do to say that the issue is a referendum on Walter Hooper's personal character (something for which KL deserves plenty of censure, but so do those who take the stance of "I know Walter and he's just the dearest Christian man," etc etc). The issue is the reliability of literary remains of a major author!
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 21st, 2007, 9:37 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 21st, 2007, 9:50 pm

In no way meaning to disparage what you are writing, Larry and Stanley, but: your discussion exactly bears out my point about how we need to have the issue settled. Here we have two knowledgeable Lewis readers locked into a discussion that they will never be able to resolve given the state of things at the moment. All right, fine, such discussions can still be fun exercises. But what if one is trying to write scholarly papers or even a well-informed guide for the ordinary reader, etc.? How does one handle the issue, for example, of the differing texts of poems published in Lewis's lifetime vs. in posthumous volumes?

I am not a por-Hooperian nor an anti-Hooperian. I am an advocate for Lewis's literary corpus, specifically these posthumous things, getting the same treatment that would be accorded to the similar writings of some author who actually mattered. My finger points at the Lewis estate and/or his publishers: they are remiss in not funding responsible scholarship to settle the matter. It makes them rather vulnerable to snide remarks about treating Lewis's literary legacy as a cash cow to be miled cynically. I do not think that is deserved; I doubt that they are making much money on things such as those three huge volumes of collected letters. I honor them for such projects. But, still - - - -!!
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 21st, 2007, 10:26 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 22nd, 2007, 1:36 am

It isn't settled because those who hold that the posthumous works are just fine in their present form cannot prove that by reference to the writings. They can only prove it by reference to the goodness of Mr. Hooper and the memories of some (e.g. Alastair Fowler). That might be fine if we were having a trial and it were important to establish that Mr. Hooper was a good witness on behalf of the defense. "I've known Walter all my life and I'm sure" etc etc.

Maybe that is the issue as some see it. Perhaps they should start Hooper blogs as distinct from participating in Lewis blogs (but don't go, Stanley! not you!).

The issue that concerns me is texts, and the personalities of Walter Hooper, KL, just insofar as they relate to that. I'm a scholar in a very small way, having published most recently in The J. R. R. Tolkien Encyclopedia etc. It was of great value to me in writing for the Encyclopedia that I could work with editions (e.g. of Tolkien's letters) whose reliability has not been called into question. Likewise, I have published a couple of articles in the past year on the probabilty of American pulp science fiction influencing Lewis works such as The Great Divorce. What could I do if I had to address The Dark Tower and other controverted works? Just, shucks, hope for the best? I don't think literary researchers should have to do that unless there is no way around it.

But I've said, I think, about all I have to say on this particular topic. If you are content with the texts you have, fine![/i]
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis