This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Trivia and amazing

The man. The myth.

Trivia and amazing

Postby a_hnau » September 26th, 2004, 6:54 pm

Here's a piece of seriously obscure Lewis trivia... In Brothers and Friends Warnie describes his voyage back from Shanghai via Japan, San Francisco and New York, on a ship called the Tai Yin. Having a couple of hours spare, I thought I would dig around for info on the ship and the voyage (as I was vaguely aware that passenger shipping is one thing about which there is a lot of information on the Web). I found a couple of things, firstly this one; and , .

Secondly, and more amazingly, on Ancestry.com ('fraid you have to subscribe to this one), under their Passenger Lists section, they have a scanned image of the U.S. Immigration docket for the Tai Yin when she called at San Francisco in 1930 with Warnie on board. Unfortunately, Warnie's details are not on the docket as he wasn't disembarking at San Franscisco, but there are the details of one of the travelling companions he mentions in Brothers and Friends. Sadly, the lists don't cover quite the same period of time for New York, so I couldn't find any record of Warnie's arrival at New York (where he transshipped to a Cunard liner for Liverpool). But isn't it amazing that this level of detail is on the 'Net at all? I guess people go to the trouble mainly because US citizens want to track back their origins in Europe...
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Re: Trivia and amazing

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2004, 4:59 am

I have to agree I'm quite surprised by it. I have to admit it is rather suprising that people placed all this information on the web even if they did not have to. :)

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2004, 12:45 pm

Hallo Hnau!

Yes, that is a bit of really obscure information! And I salute you for finding it-

Happy searching in the future!

Malcolm

Postby a_hnau » October 2nd, 2004, 5:57 pm

You're very welcome :)
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Jenn » March 10th, 2005, 12:44 am

Yep, that was cool. The pics from the brochure take ya back! BTW, The third link doesn't come through for me.

Brothers and Friends? So Warnie must be C.S.'s brother? Is his name Warner(?) (duhh) What was he doing in China(?)

Good book? Could this be ... another to get via interlibrary loan ...

Best regards,
Jenn
Food is good!
Jenn
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 10th, 2005, 1:46 am

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to C. S. Lewis