This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis vs G.B. Shaw?

The man. The myth.

Lewis vs G.B. Shaw?

Postby Michael Gaul » April 13th, 2007, 11:45 pm

In The Screwtape Letters Screwtape at one point turns into a centipede, and denies Milton's interpretation that this would have been a punishment, and favors (presumably) GB Shaw, who has grasped that "Transformation proceeds from within". This seems to suggest that Shaw held some attitudes that Lewis disagreed with. Can anyone point me to something more detailed regarding this?
Michael Gaul
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 14th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Oh, absolutely!
Try looking up Shaw's connections with G.K. Chesterton. They were friends and fierce debate opponents.
Basically, Shaw was an atheist and a humanist who believed that man can better himself until he becomes a 'superman'. This is pretty much at odds with Christianity.
Lewis was heavily affected by Chesterton (as I have been!).
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 14th, 2007, 6:38 pm

I believe Lewis makes a brief reference to Shaw in Surprised By Joy among a list of other authors he was reading at a certain time. He doesn't address Shaw directly, but the context might give you a clue to his general attitude towards Shaw. (Sorry I can't give more clear directions. I just reread the book last week, but don't have it in front of me at the moment - it was in one of the last few chapters.).
Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » April 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Michael Gaul » April 15th, 2007, 12:49 am

Many Thanks!
Michael Gaul
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis