This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Wondering why all 'evil' characters are women?

The man. The myth.

Re: re: Wondering why all 'evil' characters are women?

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » April 22nd, 2006, 9:30 am

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

re:Wondering why someone likes my name?

Postby carol » April 22nd, 2006, 9:02 pm

carol
Wardrobian

re: Wondering why all 'evil' characters are women?

Postby Arwen » April 25th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Arwen

Postby David » April 26th, 2006, 11:57 am

A bigger question might be, Why are women often the bad girls in Fairy Tales? In fairy tales you have witches, evil stepmothers, Grendle's mother in Beowulf, and female baddies of all sorts. Feminists would say it arises from a male fear of women. I don't know. I only know that when Lewis creates female villains in The Chronicles he's simply plugging into an old fairy tale tradition. The real question might be, Why does such a tradition exist at all? As someone already pointed out, Lewis does not seem to make women the bad people in his other works, but in his fairy tales he does.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » April 26th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » April 26th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Maybe women were then - well as they are now, but in a much more socially acceptable fashion - seen as evil temptresses trying to cause men to stray from the path of righteousness? The same mentality that dictates that women must cover themselves from head to foot in bhurqas in order that they don't inadvertantly show anything of themselves that might interest strange men might, in the past, have manifested in a different way: that of depicting women in literature as evil beings. That's just speculation though.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby StrawberryRose » April 27th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
StrawberryRose
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » April 28th, 2006, 3:51 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Robyn » July 13th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Robyn
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » July 13th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby David » July 14th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Maybe the fact that an evil woman is so much scarrier than an evil man has something to do with it. Here I will anticipate brickbats from feminists, but I will say this anyway.

Women are traditionally seen as nurturing. They care for children, feed, nurse, protect their kids, comfort when children are hurt, tell bedtime stories and hold you when you have a skinned knee. Women are seen as naturally kind, loving, and tender. When a woman is not this, when she is cruel and terrorizing, it is even more frightening for the contrast with how she should be.

Men, on the other hand, are disciplinarians. They spank the children, fight in wars, are the authority figure, and are seen by children as more "frightening" in the general sense of the word. So it's not so odd for a man to be a negative character. Someone like Miraz strikes us as being as typical villian. Someone like Jadis, who should be kind and nurturing because she is a woman, strikes us as being an unusal and thus more frightening baddie.

This is true, I believe, not just for Lewis but for all the fairy tales with witches, evil stepmothers, banshees, harpies and sirens in them.

That may also explain why a lot of the male villians in Narnia--like Uncle Andrew and Rabidash--are silly, ridiculous villians. Men are supposed to be courageous, wise, judicious, heroic. Those who fail to do this are sometimes sinister like Miraz but more often ridiculous and preposterous because they have so departed from what Lewis would consider the proper role of a man.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 14th, 2006, 3:14 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » September 4th, 2006, 2:34 am

Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 4th, 2006, 6:49 pm

hiya Dr U, thanks for an interesting and insightful post. Re Orual, she has been discussed quite a bit on this forum though I can't remember exactly which threads. One or two people - and i am inclined to agree with them - have speculated that Orual might have been 'a man in a woman's body' - an asexual woman, a Queen who was really a King. A woman who fought like a man and ate and drank with men and was treated by her fellows as a man. Not necessarily a sympathetic female character...
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » September 5th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to C. S. Lewis