This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Writing to Jack

The man. The myth.

Writing to Jack

Postby A#minor » June 18th, 2007, 3:48 am

I always laugh when we get someone in the Questions forum wanting to write to Lewis or get in touch with him, and we have to enlighten them to the fact that the dear man is with the Lord.

Here's a thought though.... what would you write to Lewis if he were still alive? Go ahead. Write out a letter to Lewis just as if you would address it and sign it and mail it if he were alive. What would you ask him? What book might you comment on?
I think it'll be interesting to see what we come up with.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 18th, 2007, 4:00 am

Dear Mr. Lewis,
I first read your Chronicles of Narnia books when I was 10 years old or so. I still re-read them every summer and enjoy them more each time. In recent years I've discovered many of your essays and theological books, and have been very blessed by them.
The Screwtape Letters especially woke me up spiritually during a bad time and gave me a much-needed spiritual boost.
You certainly have a gift, sir. Thank God you are using it for His glory.

One of my greatest joys has been to introduce the Chronicles of Narnia to my littlest brother. He had a stuffed lion as a child which he re-named "Aslan" after I read the stories to him. He is now re-reading the Chronicles on his own. It's a great feeling teaching children to love good and noble things.

My friends get tired of my habit of quoting you all the time. Nearly every conversation that comes up, I have a (probably not exact) Lewis quote ready in the back of my mind. I pull it out in triumph only to be met with groans or polite smiles, but they will all admit the truth and beauty of your words (as I do).

Wishing God had given you more time in which to write,
God Bless,
A#minor

_______
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 18th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Great idea, A#minor :smile:

Dear Mr. Lewis,

I am a great fan of your work, even though we are not of the same faith. I enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia and loved The Screwtape Letters. I find that you don't need to be a Christian to take lessons from either!

I've also enjoyed your apologetics. One line, in particular, made a big difference in my life--although it did not make a Christian of me.

You use the line more than once. It goes something like this: There are really only two religions a mature adult should consider--Christianity and Hinduism. Islam is only the greatest Christian heresy; Buddhism is only the greatest Hindu heresy. And everything that was worthwhile about Platonism and Judaism survive in Christianity.

First I researched Hinduism after reading that quote. I read like crazy, attended Hindu festivals and learned about performing daily 'puja' and such. In the end, I discovered that while I'm most likely a monist theologically, Hinduism isn't my home. It's a religion I admire as a neighbor.

Then I looked at Buddhism. It's not a Hindu heresy--a 'Hindu heresy' is almost an oxymoron. Far from rejecting Buddhism, many Hindus regard the Buddha as one of the incarnations of Vishnu. I also discovered that Buddhism has its own stengths and teachings--you shouldn't lump it with Hinduism.

At about the same time, I started taking classes in Plato. I adore him! I don't always agree with him, of course, but I'll go a long ways with him. I think I devoured every one of his dialogues and even puzzled through some of the Greek. I'm pretty sure that your constant references to Plato spurred me to do that, so I owe you one.

However, while Christianity owes a tremendous debt to Plato (as does all of Western culture) no one should assume that everything worthwhile about Platonism survives in Christianity! I hope they have enough sense to go to his dialogues and make their own judgments.

I haven't studied Islam in the same depth as Hinduism, Buddhism or Platonism--but the little I have studied convinces me that you should not dismiss it as a 'Christian heresy.'

Shortly after the Plato courses, I started to learn about Judaism. I don't know if that was due to your comment or to a brilliant instructor in the Religion department at my college. Or it might have been due to the fact that Judaism is in my family--although I wasn't myself born a Jew.

It didn't take me long to see how far off the mark your comment was. Judaism is no mere predecessor to Christianity. No serious student of religion should ignore it, content to glean facts about it from Christians! I'm speaking with a special passion here, because it turned out that Judaism is my home.

I hope you've had the chance to sit down at a Sabbath dinner, to learn the blessings and to sing the Psalms in Hebrew. I hope you've participated in the Seder, celebrating freedom and liberation and, at the same time, our duty to serve God. I don't think any of this is unlikely, since I remember that you had an observant Jewish stepson.

I also hope that you've touched your hand to a mezuzah and then to your lips, internalizing the words of the Torah. And I hope you've studied Torah and Talmud. I hope you've listened to Reform, Conservative and Orthodox Jews wrangle over the Law--and of how we should best glorify God in our lives. I hope you've seen how the notion of tikkun olam--'heal the world'--is central to Judaism. And I hope you've seen both what Judaism and Christianity share and how the two faiths differ.

I don't say any of the above to convert you. I only want you to realize that you can't dismiss Judaism--or Buddhism or Islam--as unworthy of consideration compared to Christianity and Hinduism. These are living, breathing faiths, Mr. Lewis. You slight them and yourself by sweeping them under the table. The honest seeker needs to research each on its own terms.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, please accept my gratitude for all your writings. You've always had the ability to get me thinking.

Shalom,

Rosemary
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby darinka » June 20th, 2007, 2:45 am

darinka
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 20th, 2007, 3:49 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 20th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Yes, of course we can read each other's letters! That's the whole point of posting them! :rolleyes:
But thankyou for being so sensitive to other people's privacy, darinka. That's very sweet and polite. :pleased:
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 5:53 pm

Dear Mr. Lewis,

Can you believe Rosemary writes such long letters?

Your friend,

Dan

Postby JRosemary » June 21st, 2007, 6:34 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 6:49 pm

I'm not saying it was long, but you could have split it into 7 parts and called them chronicles.

Postby JRosemary » June 21st, 2007, 7:07 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 21st, 2007, 7:46 pm

Dear Mr Lewis,

It looks like "one or two tempers were very nearly lost" here just now.
Fortunately good sense ruled.

Your informant

Carol
carol
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » June 21st, 2007, 11:24 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby darinka » June 22nd, 2007, 2:18 am

darinka
Wardrobian

Letter to Jack

Postby friendofaslan » June 22nd, 2007, 3:11 am

Jack,

Remember how you and JRRT decided to start writing the kinds of stories you would like to read? I’m so blessed you did! You have written books that seem new even though I’ve read them many times over many years. Your works arouse imagination, intellect, tears, laughter, joy, prayer, satisfaction, and yearning. I discovered you in college, and my life has never been the same.

Reading about Aslan willingly giving his life to save Edmund and Narnia made understand the sacrifice of Christ more than any sermon ever could.

Your Abolition of Man quote “The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts” has become part of my teaching philosophy.

One of my favorite poems is “As the Ruin Falls” which you wrote knowing you were losing the love of your life so soon after finally finding Joy.

Screwtape Letters never fails to cut me to the quick and makes such an applicable companion to Dante's Inferno.

I bring your works into my classes as much as possible, and it is a blessing to see inner city kids from the harsh, concrete jungles to the pampered kids from the quiet, well-manicured suburbs embrace you with the same wonder and excitement.

Thank you, Jack. I look forward to seeing you after the Shawdowlands. :smile:
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » June 23rd, 2007, 7:40 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis