This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Arthur Kenneth Barton 1910-2007

The man. The myth.

Arthur Kenneth Barton 1910-2007

Postby a_hnau » June 29th, 2007, 7:06 pm

It is with sadness that I record the death yesterday of Arthur Barton MA (Oxon). Jake, as he was known to friends, was a student of C.S. Lewis's in the late 1920's/early 1930's. His entire career, with the exception of his service in the Air Force, was spent as an English master at Newcastle-under-Lyme High School in Staffordshire, and he spent a long retirement, sadly for the most part without his wife Doris, coaching friends' children and - as even this became difficult - enjoying the company of numerous visitors, many (including myself) regularly over a period of years. He had published several books including collections of his own limericks, and a compilation of short mystery stories for use in schools.

Jake was admitted to hospital after a fall a few days ago, and was awaiting a transfer to a residential nursing home, when regrettably his health worsened rapidly and he passed away earlier yesterday while still in the hospital elderly care ward.

He will be much missed. Lewis's words from his inaugural Cambridge lecture are most apt; "One thing I know; I would give a great deal to hear any ancient Athenian... talking about Greek tragedy. He would know in his bones much that we seek in vain. At any moment some chance phrase might, unknown to him, show us where modern scholarship had been on the wrong track for years. ... If a live dinosaur dragged its slow length into the laboratory, would we not all look back as we fled? ... Speaking not only for myself but for all other Old Western men whom you may meet, I would say, use your specimens while you can. There are not going to be many more dinosaurs."

I have met my ancient Athenian, my Old Western man; I have not fled, but sat comfortably listening to my dinosaur talk of 'wonderful things'. I count it an honour and a privilege to have been able to spend time with Jake, who embodied for me much that I admire but cannot hope to aspire to; those days are past.

I don't yet have a suitable epitaph but I'll seek one in Lewis's writings.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis