This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Poll: The Three C.S. Lewises

The man. The myth.

No votes
11%
7%
39%
43%

Total votes : 28

Poll: The Three C.S. Lewises

Postby texascat » June 30th, 2007, 6:55 am

"Never judge a book by its movie." J.W. Eagan
texascat
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 30th, 2007, 10:45 pm

I like him as all three really, but mostly as a fantasy writer and a theologian.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby darinka » July 1st, 2007, 6:20 am

darinka
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » July 2nd, 2007, 6:42 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby texascat » July 2nd, 2007, 9:16 pm

"Never judge a book by its movie." J.W. Eagan
texascat
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2007, 6:22 pm

Postby nomad » July 3rd, 2007, 8:49 pm

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » July 3rd, 2007, 9:00 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby friendofaslan » July 4th, 2007, 7:21 pm

I too entered the world of Lewis through the wardrobe. Then, I moved on to those fiery letters from Hell. I journeyed into space and prayed not to be bent. Next, I traveled in the bus to what was supposed to be Heaven. I found out “mere” could be deep. I waded through his electric mind on medieval literature in a graduate research class on literature. I found out love has more than one meaning. Then, I watched as the ruin fell and a page of lines told more than volumes.

Most authors hope to leave a legacy in one field of writing, but Lewis has fantasy, apologetics, science fiction, sermons, scholarly research, poetry, an anthology of MacDonald, and more.

I voted for a combo, especially the fantasy/apologetic Lewis. What a blessing to have our faith, logic, and imagination touched by one man—often at the same time! :grin:
Member of the 2456317 Club. "How will you know? . . . Odd things they say--even their looks--will let the secret out. Keep your eyes open. Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?" - Professor Kirke in LWW
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » July 5th, 2007, 10:21 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pilgrim » July 7th, 2007, 8:54 pm

The theologian side of him is probably my favorite. The sci-fi/fantasy side amd the scholar side are great, but I think the theological side flowed into every other side of him.
"And He was saying to them all, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.'" - Luke 9:23
Pilgrim
Wardrobian

Postby Yattara » July 9th, 2007, 4:18 pm

When I was your age, television was called books.
Yattara
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » July 11th, 2007, 6:24 pm

I was finally able to vote. I went with all three. I truly enjoy reading anything by Lewis. Well, almost. I made a start at his scholarly work called "About Words" or something like that, but didn't get very far. But all his other fiction and non-fiction is always both enjoyable and thought-provoking. I'm sometimes amazed at how some of his writings that were in response to a specific situation of his time still hold significance today.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » July 23rd, 2007, 1:58 am

I chose all three. I came to Lewis' works through The Chronicles of Narnia as a young teenager, but I discovered there was so much more to his writing. During high school and college I devoured anything I could find by him--theological writings, poetry (Lewis as poet is not a choice in the poll!), literary works, his philological book Studies in Words, and more. At my favourite bookstore (sadly no longer in business), they knew me well and were accustomed to me coming in and going straight to the shelf of Lewis books. In all of his writings I have found deep satisfaction, spiritually and mentally.
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis