This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The books

The man. The myth.

The books

Postby book_1958 » July 8th, 2007, 2:04 pm

book_1958

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 8th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Well, you'd better read the Space Trilogy next if you haven't read it already (and if you have, it's always fun to read again! -- as are all his books:-)

(The Space Trilogy is composed of three separate books -- not required to read in order, but best if you do -- Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength)

A special edition of A Severe Mercy was the fist gift I gave my (then to be future) wife 25 years ago. Have you heard of the follow-up book called "Under the Mercy" about Vanauken's conversion to Catholicism? There is also another book of shorter pieces called "The Little Lost Marion and other Mercies" in which he talks about meeting up, many years later, with the woman that Davy had given up for adoption before meeting Van (he didn't mention that at all in the first book -- it is a touching story in itself)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Your reply

Postby book_1958 » July 8th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Thank you, Stanley. I had asked a former professor of mine the same question, and he also suggested the Space Trilogy.

I have, just recently, in fact, heard of the two books you mentioned. I was doing research on Mr. VanAuken after reading A Severe Mercy this second time, and I discovered them. They aren't that easy to find, though. I have found a couple of places with copies of Under the Mercy that aren't too expensive, but the cheapest I've found Little Marion is about $80.00. Too bad. I guess that's because it's out of print?

I'll get on that Space Trilogy soon. Thanks again.
book_1958

Postby Adam Linton » July 8th, 2007, 8:29 pm

I agree with Stanley about the Space Trilogy--although for someone fairly new to Lewis I might suggest a break after Perelandra before going on to That Hideous Strength.

In addition, I would work in The Great Divorce and The Abolition of Man soon.

All the best.

No need to hurry.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » July 10th, 2007, 4:07 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » July 10th, 2007, 9:16 pm

God in the Dock is a powerful collection of CSL's shorter theological essays.
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby jo » July 11th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Definitely read the Space Trilogy :). Maybe I should start a group reread (not a study, something very informal with everyone going at their own pace) on the ST forum in fact.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby LadyHawke9973 » July 13th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Criosta an Ri

**Born once, die twice;**
**Born twice, die once.**
LadyHawke9973
Wardrobian

Postby jo » July 13th, 2007, 8:39 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby carol » July 13th, 2007, 10:29 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 15th, 2007, 1:48 am

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Mr Hooper » April 4th, 2008, 9:18 pm

You can't go wrong with the Walter Hooper edited Essay Collection and Other Short Pieces. It's the one I dip into the most. And what about The Great Divorce, or the Pilgrim's Regress?
Mr Hooper
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » April 28th, 2008, 10:47 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 28th, 2008, 11:22 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » April 29th, 2008, 7:45 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis